Durham alumna voted off in semi-finals of The Great British Bake Off

Durham alumna Tasha Stones has been voted off in the semi-finals of The Great British Bake Off.

As the first deaf contestant to compete in the show, Stones was accompanied by Daryl, a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter, often using BSL to communicate instead of speaking.

This week’s episode, which was patisserie week for the bakes, saw Stones struggle through the challenges. Despite easing through previous recipes, Stones was unable to bake her tarte aux pommes in time during the technical challenge, where she came fourth.

She also struggled with the puff pastry on her showstopper, being unable to replicate the layers required in the challenge.

Despite this, Stones won Star Baker twice across the series – in episodes two and three – and was consistently one of the stronger bakers throughout.

On X, formerly known as Twitter, The Great British Bake Off addressed Stones in saying: “We’re so honoured to have enjoyed both your baking and your company in our Tent over the last few weeks. We’re very excited about what the future holds for you. Keep believing in yourself!”

“I can do so much more than I was capable of. It’s a very special place”

Tasha Stones

Even though she was voted off the show on her birthday, she left with positivity. “It’s changed me,” Great British Bake Off quotes, “I can do so much more than I was capable of. It’s a very special place. I’m very lucky to be part of it.”

During the episode, Stones remarked how important the show has been for her: “The confidence it has given me to believe in myself in such a short space of time is amazing.”

Stones graduated from Durham in 2018 after studying Anthropology at St Chad’s, but gained her love for baking when she was much younger, when she would help her mother and grandmother in the kitchen. She later developed this interest at school, learning from her Food Technology teacher.

The final of The Great British Bake Off will air on Tuesday 28th November at 8pm on Channel 4.

Image: Pixabay via Pexels

One thought on “Durham alumna voted off in semi-finals of The Great British Bake Off

• It’s “FORMERLY”

Does a sub not proof-read this stuff?