Durham alumna helps launch now-u app to tackle world issues

A group of over fifty volunteers, including former Durham student Amy Mead, are set to launch a non-profit interactive app, now-u, on the 1st July. Amidst the worldwide pandemic, these volunteers from across the UK and beyond have dedicated their time during lockdown to work on building a platform for change. The app aims to educate, inspire and empower users to tackle some of the world’s most pressing issues through simple individual action.

now-u is designed to educate people on a wide range of problems related to human rights, welfare and the environment. Users will be invited to participate in regular individual actions and to set challenges for influencers, companies and governments. These actions, which are the key part of each monthly campaign, will include signing petitions and open letters, pledging behavioural changes, sharing campaigns on social media, and making small donations of time or money to a cause. 

Amy studied Natural Sciences at Collingwood, and is currently studying for a master’s degree in addition to supporting her friend, Lizzie Elgar, who came up with the idea for the app. “People can often feel overwhelmed by large-scale problems and powerless to help. But all of us have huge power to drive change. The global tragedy of the coronavirus pandemic has highlighted people’s willingness to help others at their times of need” Lizzie explains. Amy adds, “volunteering with now-u has given me a huge insight into how much we, as individuals, can all do to make the world a better place, and I love how now-u gives us the platform to do that.” This is how now-u works: by combining the small actions of each of us, the now-u community can play a huge part in driving positive change.

There will be different campaigns each month that participants can learn about and get involved in. The first campaigns will be focused on problems exacerbated by the pandemic such as domestic abuse in the UK, refugee welfare and resettlement in Europe and water, sanitation and hygiene in low- and middle-income countries.

The app will be available for download from the 1st July on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store. To find out more about how you can get involved, please go to now-u.com.

Image by jtstewart via Flickr