DU even row?

by

How do rowers cook? Do they really eat as much as we think they do? Food and Drink have been chatting to some DU rowers, and have learned the culinary secrets that power their busy lifestyle.

Who knows, maybe these recipes could give you an extra boost to bash out that summative?

‘Spinach seems a little extraneous in amongst all that bulky protein’

Breakfast

Apparently, DU rowers have two breakfasts; one before, and one after training. Breakfast number one can look like a bowl of muesli, with full fat milk, honey and a banana on top. Breakfast number two involves three bits of toast, with a fried egg on each, and some spinach. 

Spinach seems a little extraneous in amongst all that bulky protein, but Popeye was a fan, so I suppose we shouldn’t knock it.

Lunch

Bagels appear to be the done thing as far as lunch is concerned, alongside many of the items from breakfast number one (which makes for easy shopping, no?). A bagel with peanut butter on one side, honey on the other, and a banana in the middle, is an excellent, albeit messy way to get necessary protein, fats and slow release sugars into the diet. 

‘Avocados aren’t just there for the aesthetic insta: they contain more potassium than bananas’

Dinner

Rice bowls are all the rage at the moment, rower or not. Cook up 75g of basmati rice for ten minutes, and once cooked, pop some mackerel, spinach and avocado on top. Avocados aren’t just there for the aesthetic insta: they contain more potassium than bananas, and a load of monounsaturated fat.

Alternatively, you can bulk up with a pork loin and streaky bacon risotto. Dice an onion and fry in oil for four minutes, before adding 80g of risotto rice, and 500ml of stock to the pan.

‘Do you reckon rowers can be vegan?’

Allow the stock to bubble away whilst you chop up four pork loin steaks and eight strips of streaky bacon (do you reckon rowers can be vegan?), and fry until cooked. Four minutes before the risotto is done, add a handful of peas and green beans, and allow to cook with the rice until tender. Top the risotto with the meat, and enjoy eating like a DU rower!

Thanks to the Durham University rowing team for supplying these recipes.

Photograph: kanu101 via Wikimedia Commons