DSU to support student events in light of Review

DSU president announced via Twitter that he had attended the University Executive Committee (UEC) meeting, which “received revised proposals following the formal staff consultation process and consultation with student leaders.”

Mr Walker made clear the “importance of ensuring that large-scale college events can be supported” and that the “unique needs and identities of college communities are respected” in order for student leaders to “carry out common room activities.”

Mr Walker made clear the “importance of ensuring that large-scale college events can be supported”

In a statement to Palatinate, Mr Walker continued: “Our response highlighted concerns about support for student-led events in Colleges, Support for student leaders and potential impact on student development opportunities.

“We are awaiting the outcome of the meeting and I hope that the University executive will have taken on board the views of students and staff when making their decisions.”

Students have already expressed concerns that the plans will adversely impact unique college-specific events.

The purpose of the University’s College and Operations review is to improve “efficiency and effectiveness” and “enhance the overall student experience.”

In a statement from the University, Professor Martyn Evans, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience) said: “The purpose of the review is to ensure that our residential student experience services are operating as well as possible and are resilient for the future.”

The proposed reduction of operations and services coordinators within the college may result in a new operations supervisor position, which combines multiple roles and may function on a lower pay grade.

The University has affirmed that they will seek to avoid Durham becoming a quasi-collegiate university

Students from various Junior Common Rooms have already expressed concerns that the University’s plans will adversely affect the organisation of unique college-specific events and place too much pressure on student volunteers.

The University has affirmed that they will seek to avoid Durham becoming a quasi-collegiate university, akin to structures found at York and Lancaster, with Evans stating: “The collegiate system is, and will remain, an integral part of our university identity.”

Photograph: