DSU hold Post Graduate Academic Officer by-election

In August Durham Students’ Union (DSU) will hold a by-election for the role of Post Graduate (PG) Academic Officer. Cynthia Lawson, who won the election earlier this year, will no longer take up the position. 

In a statement posted on their website, DSU thanked Ms Lawson for her “fantastic campaign” to become the Post Graduate Academic Officer as she steps down to focus on her upcoming PhD studies. Lawson was uncontested in her campaign to become Officer and received 83% of the vote.

DSU went on to say that they “fully support her decision and believe this is the right thing for her at this time”. 

Ms Lawson had run on a platform of making Durham a more inclusive and welcoming place for postgraduates. In an interview with Palatinate, she said she wanted to open up more postgraduate-specific study spaces and be a “friendly face who you can talk to about your concerns”.

“We fully support her decision and believe this is the right thing for her at this time”

Durham student union

She was meant to join fellow incoming officers Joe McGarry (SU President), Laura Curran (Welfare & Liberation Officer), Joshua Freestone (Undergraduate Academic Officer) and Jack Ballingham (returning for his second year as Opportunities Officer).  

The DSU described the role as a “year (of) being a leader of change”, with the PG Officer representing “postgraduate students’ academic interests, fighting to improve the postgraduate participation and experience, and liaising with the University to ensure postgraduate students have the best experience at Durham”

The nomination period for Ms Lawson’s replacement will run from the 27th of June to the 18th of July. Voting will open on the 26th of July and will run until the 28th of July – results are expected on the same day.