#CookForUkraine: discovering Ukrainian cuisine for an essential cause

In light of current events, the #CookForUkraine campaign is an amazing initiative which aims not only to raise money for UNICEF to help the victims of this ongoing humanitarian crisis, but also to encourage people to try new eastern European recipes and sample delicious Ukrainian cuisine. The campaign is so important as it encourages us to appreciate the individuality of Ukrainian culture, as well as donate to a great cause.

After doing some research into traditional Ukrainian cuisine, one dish kept coming up again and again. So, today I am going to be sharing with you a recipe for syrnyky, which is like a sweet cheese pancake. Trust me, I was also dubious at first, but the end result was delicious. The best part is they only use six different ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your cupboards at home. They turn out like mini sweet pancakes with a really creamy taste, therefore you can be creative with your toppings — cream, Nutella, maple syrup, berries, whatever tickles your fancy. I loosely based my pancakes around this recipe I found on the internet, tweaking it to my own taste and to create the right consistency for the batter.

https://momsrecipes.web.app/1787-recipe-of-ultimate-ukrainian-syrnyky-cottage-cheese-pancakes/

Firstly, get your ingredients together. You’ll need:

• 300g cottage cheese
  • 4 tbsp plain flour
  • 3 tbsp granulated sugar
  • A splash of vanilla extract
  • A pinch of salt
  • Some oil or butter for the pan
  1. Combine the cottage cheese, 3 tbsp of flour, 3 tbsp of sugar, the vanilla and salt in a mixing bowl, and mix with a fork.
  2. You want the consistency to be quite thick and able to slightly hold itself together, so keep adding flour (and some sugar to retain its sweetness) until it is at the right consistency.
  3. Next, oil the pan and place on a medium heat while you begin to form the pancakes.
  4. Use one or two tablespoons to help you form the right shape — they should be around the size of scotch pancakes but thicker. You should be able to fit around 3 in the pan at one time (see photo of end result for reference).
  5. Put some flour into a little separate bowl and coat your pancakes in them, before beginning to place them in the pan.
  6. Cook on a medium heat to prevent burning until golden brown on both sides, flipping repeatedly, and making sure they are not still too runny inside.
  7. Take off the hob and serve however you like!

The traditional Ukrainian way of serving these pancakes is with soured cream on top, but the great thing about this recipe is its versatility — although they’ve got some sugar in them, you could still make them savoury, or be as creative as you like with your sweet toppings.

I would highly encourage you to get involved in the #CookForUkraine campaign in any way possible — whether that’s donating, cooking some Eastern European food, or hosting your own dinner party! You can look through the hashtag or browse recipes online for inspiration. Without this initiative, I never would have learned about syrnyky, never mind cook them for myself. It gives you a great excuse to get creative in the kitchen, and try something new.

Here is the link to donate or learn more about the campaign — every little helps!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/cookforukraine/

Image credit: , Alexandra Koch via Pixabay (Featured Image)

One thought on “#CookForUkraine: discovering Ukrainian cuisine for an essential cause

• The whole of Europe is the target

The aim is to bring PRC into a strategic embrace of Russia – with a swap to Russian Gas via the Siberian Gas Pipelines.That will PERMANENTLY SOLVE THE OIL /ENERGY SECURITY OF PRC, AND THE RISK OF A NAVAL BLOCKADE IN THE SCS AND THE HORN OF AFRICA.

RUSSIA HAS ALL THE OIL/GAS/COAL,MINERALS AND RARE EARTHS THAT PRC NEEDS !

THAT WILL DRASTICALLY LOWER THE COST OF CHINESE MANUFACTURING + DESTROY EU MANUFACTURING & GERMAN MANUFACTURING, THERE WILL BE NO EU MANUFACTURING EXPORTS TO PRC,AND IT WILL CRASH THE EURO, & RUIN THE EU ECONOMIES WITH JOB LOSSES AND LOWER STANDARDS OF LIVING – & WILL CONVERT THE EU, INTO A 3 RD WORLD BLOCK – WHICH GERMANY & FRANCE,WILL NOT SUPPORT,AND HENCE ,THE EU WILL BREAK UP.

ONCE THERE IS NO EU – AND NO MONEY IN EU – THERE WILL BE NO NATO !

THAT IS THE PUTIN-XI PLAN – & SO,THEY WANT MORE SANCTIONS.HIGHER ENERGY AND MINERALS WILL PUSH PRC TO PUTIN & ALSO INCREASE, INFLATION IN THE EU. dindooohindoo