Comfort QuaranTV: Grey’s Anatomy

During this highly stressful time, most people’s immediate choice of television to watch while self-isolating would be something to provide you with light relief. However, with the sense that we may be stuck in binge-watching mode for quite some time, I have a feeling that what we need is instead some addictive, long-winded, somewhat ridiculous yet nonetheless tear-inducing drama. 

Grey’s Anatomy has, in my opinion, everything to offer in that department, and more. In fact, when I first started this show, the U.K. wasn’t under lockdown and the government wasn’t ordering me to stay inside. Having banned myself from it during the GCSE period, the first thing I did with my post-prom hangover was settle down to watch hours and hours of Grey’s. For days I holed myself up: I got through 6 seasons, each 24 episodes, in 4 weeks. Kind of appalling, right?

However, now that we’re actually being forced to stay at home, I see no better opportunity to re-ignite my love for the longest running medical drama of all time. Created by the TV-tycoon Shonda Rhimes, who also made the highly successful shows How to Get Away with Murder and Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy is still running and currently has 16 seasons and 356 episodes.

Each season is packed full of drama and culminates in a highly tense and powerful crisis in which patients and doctors alike suffer, whether through death, injury or the loss of loved ones. Characters fight, flirt and fall in love. Natural disasters destroy lives and fatal accidents occur more often than the steamy scenes in storage closets, which is saying something. If anything can give you the escapism from a global pandemic, this TV show can.

Characters fight, flirt and fall in love. Natural disasters destroy lives and fatal accidents occur more often than the steamy scenes in storage closets

The escalator of wacky injuries keeps rolling through the doors and intense scenes of lives being saved by unbelievably attractive doctors do a lot to quell any rising hypochondria. On top of this, Grey’s Anatomy has the greatest power couple trajectory of all time: Meredith and Derek. It provides you with nail-biting drama that absorbs you completely while making sure you experience every emotion possible. While an inevitably tear-inducing show may seem daunting, I see it as the perfect way to relieve the stress and tension of being cooped up with your relatives for an uncertain amount of time.

Admittedly, there is a fair bit of gory surgery scenes, where viewers are subject to the insides of some poor patient. Yet the writers always give relevance to the patient’s plotline, and the snapshots of surgery become easy to watch. As each episode brings a new, unusual case to the ER, we are kept on tenterhooks throughout the hour. Viewers are kept in anticipation of  the fate of the patient and the doctors’ own plotlines, including that of the dark and twisty protagonist, Meredith Grey, who has been in all 16 seasons. While her raspy, philosophical voice playing over opening shots of a gloriously sunny Seattle may irritate some, the endless quickfire drama of her life offers fair compensation. 

Grey’s Anatomy stands out from other shows in its ability to prolong storylines and character development, yet also keep us totally gripped

Sound a bit much? Despite the high stakes and fast pace, the show is often comical and heart-warming. Characters such as the detestable Alex Karev and the pathetic yet lovable George O’Malley, bring the dose of humour to the show that it needs. Tragic accidents are balanced out by moments of joy in romantic developments and silliness in quirky injuries. Additionally, it would be a crime not to mention the astonishing amount of eye-candy that fills your screen. For men and women, this show has it all. From McDreamy and McSteamy, to Lexie Grey and Addison Montgomery, there is more than enough to go around. 

Grey’s Anatomy stands out from other shows in its ability to prolong storylines and character development yet also keep us totally gripped. It successfully combines what few shows can: epic drama, a cohesive plot and great characters. Prepare for a lot of tears, but also a lot of gasps and laughs. I guarantee you will not be able to stop watching.

Image: Alexandru Acea via Unsplash