Charity Fashion Show raises record £106,000

By Rosie Dowsing

The 2018 Durham University Charity Fashion Show (DUCFS) has raised just over £100,000, beating last year’s total by £31,000 and setting an all-time record for the event.

The fashion show, which this year marked its 35th anniversary, took place across two nights on Friday 3rd to Saturday 4th February in the Rainton Meadows Arena.

Organisers claim the 1,800 available tickets had sold out within two seconds of going live, and attendees further added to the fundraising through donations, a charity auction and a raffle.

The money raised, estimated at around £106,000, will be donated to Mind, a charity that raises awareness of mental health issues and provides support for people suffering with them.

One auction item was a square foot of land entitling the owner to the title of Lord or Lady

The event featured 52 student models showcasing more than 200 outfits from 24 brands, which ranged from such well-known labels as ASOS and Tommy Hilfiger, to emerging designers like Sahira, Dmitry Gotsfrid and Dora Larsen Lingerie.

The theme, Evolution // Revolution, attempted to “harness the power of creative resistance,” using brands that represent either activism or the notion of revolution through their aesthetic.

Guests were also given the chance to bid for a variety of prizes in the auction, including a ride in a police riot van, a two night stay in Barcelona, and a square foot of land which entitles the owner to the title of Lord or Lady.

Iona Cameron, President of DUCFS, told Palatinate: “I am completely overwhelmed and speechless with the success of DUCFS 2018. It has been 10 months in the making and the weekend made all our hard work worth it.”

Photograph: Sam Harrison

One Response