Catch of the Day – DUF Win Mixed Regionals

By Sam McStay Ultimate Frisbee

Durham University Ultimate Frisbee got off to a flying start to their season last weekend, winning the mixed Indoor Regionals tournament at The Sir Tom Finney sports centre at UCLAN in Preston.

This competition was the first tournament of the year and represented the first opportunity for DUF to scout out opposition before the first round of BUCS matches, commencing this Wednesday.

After a serene and efficient progression throughout the stages of the tournament, the 1sts won a tight 6-5 victory in the final over the hosts UCLAN. The team were led to victory by Alexis Long, a GB U23 open player who wore the captain’s armband for the first time in his DUF career.

Along with the 1sts incredible win, it was also a successful day all around for DUF. The 2nds finished the competition in a commendable 7th place. This ensured that they were the highest 2nds team in the leaderboards, beating Newcastle 2nds who finished 8th. The 2nds also managed to rub salt into the wounds of their local rivals, as they hammered them 10-2 to make it crystal clear who was the best 2s team on the day.

It was also a positive day for the DUF 3rd team. They finished 11th in the standings, above all of the other 3rds teams on the day, as well as a few 2nd teams. This feat was made even more impressive by the fact that this was the first occasion that the Palatinates had fielded a 3rd team at Mixed indoors since 2009.

Following the tournament, Long had this to say to Palatinate Sport: “This weekend’s result is really great for the club and as captain I am incredibly proud of all those who have been putting in the hard work to make this season as rewarding as possible. We took three teams at the weekend and really showed the depth of Durham Ultimate Frisbee.

“The first team has shown that we have the potential and determination to take Nationals by storm. Mixed Indoor Regionals is a difficult tournament as it is held so early in the year. However, this win has meant even more to us considering how we started so late this year. I feel that this win has really given everyone something to hold onto. For the club this is a foundation of greatness we will build on from now in order to compete at the highest level possible.”

DUF will be hoping to carry the momentum from their mixed Indoor Regionals win into this Wednesday, as the 1s play Sheffield away, while the 2s have a daunting match against Northumbria 1s at the Racecourse.

Photograph: Sam McStay