Castle JCR votes against making senior student a sabbatical role

University College JCR has voted overwhelmingly against introducing a sabbatical President, leaving it one of two colleges not to offer a salary to the head of its JCR.

85 students voted in favour of a sabbatical senior student, with 219 against, and 11 abstentions.

In the vote held on the 28th November, the JCR decided to keep the current arrangement of a part-time, unpaid senior student role. This followed a debate on the 23rd November where opposing arguments were heard.

Castle is one of only two colleges, alongside St. Chad’s, to not have a sabbatical senior student. Hatfield joined other colleges in having a sabbatical ‘Senior Man’ in 2019.

85 voted in favour of a sabbatical senior student, with 219 against

The referendum was organised by the Castle JCR chairs, who worked alongside campaign team for the two sides.

An email to the students of University College outlined the changes that would occur from transitioning to a full-time role. Campaign posters offered additional information.

“In the end it was clear that there is no demand for a sabbatical senior student in Castle.”

Bob Howat, Services Manager and anti-sabbatical campaign manager

Bob Howat, Services Manager and anti-sabbatical campaign manager commented: “It was a good debate and we thank our JCR Chair Ellie Massey for platforming both points of view. In the end it was clear that there is no demand for a sabbatical senior student in Castle.”