CAMRA reveals the top three City pubs in Durham for 2023

Durham is renowned for its great nightlife, with cocktail bars, gin bars, gastro pubs and excellent pub restaurants for a great night out.

Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), an independent voluntary organisation dedicated to promoting real ale, cider and perry alongside traditional British pubs and clubs, has recently revealed their top three City pubs in Durham for 2023, as voted by their members.

Ye Old Elm Tree has been awarded first place, with The Station House taking home second and The Victoria coming in third.

Ye Old Elm Tree dates back to the 1600s, making it one of Durham’s oldest inns. Locals and students alike are drawn to the pub’s warm and welcoming atmosphere; with quizzes on Wednesdays as well as regular acoustic events, there is something for everyone at this year’s winning pub.

Many reviewers left the Durham pub with 5-star reviews with one stating, “This is the best pub in Durham. Mint staff, great beer, lovely beer garden. Lovely mix of students and locals. Can’t think of a better pub!”

Ye Old Elm Tree has been awarded first place, with The Station House taking home second and The Victoria coming in third

This year’s runner-up has become a Durham staple since opening in 2015. Winning the CAMRA Regional Cider Pub of the Year in 2017 and Town Cider Pub of the Year in 2017 and 2018, The Station House is well known for its great beer and community feel.

Though it took third place this year, The Victoria was named CAMRA’s Pub of the Year in 2020. The Victoria is known as an award-winning family run Victorian Inn offering a classic, friendly cask pub.

The Grey Horse in Consett was voted the best Town pub, with the Surtees Arms in Ferryhill being named the Country pub. The Grey Horse has been selected from the City, Town and Country winners to go forward to the North East regional competition.

Nik Antona, CAMRA’s national chairman, said: “The last few years have been an incredibly difficult time for the industry, and we need more support than ever before to keep our nation’s pubs open and thriving.

“I’d encourage everyone to use this year’s guide to visit the very best pubs across the UK and support them for generations to come.”

Image: Tim Green via Wikimedia Commons

Support Palatinate

2 thoughts on “CAMRA reveals the top three City pubs in Durham for 2023

• These were voted by members the top three pubs in the CITY of Durham, not the County!

The Grey Horse, Consett was voted best TOWN pub and the Surtees Arms, Ferryhil Station tge best COUNTRY pub.

The Grey Horse was selected to go forward to the North East regional competition.

• Thank you for your kind clarification