Business School development planned for disused swimming pool

By Melissa Tutesigensi

Durham University has revealed plans to develop old and disused Elvet Waterside Swimming Pool for the relocation of the University’s Business School.

The purpose-built Business school is planned to be relocated from its current location at Mill Hill Lane. The £70 million development is part of a wider strategy to improve the University’s infrastructure.

The University hopes the new building will create a “world-class learning experience for students,” “support cutting-edge research and enable business events and conferences to take place.”

“The proposed state-of-the-art building will provide exceptional facilities not only for our students but also for the local community and business.”

A public consultation on the plans took place on Wednesday 6 March at Durham Town Hall, where residents, businesses and other members of the public viewed the University’s plans and provided feedback.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Stuart Corbridge said: “The proposed development will fully regenerate a derelict brownfield riverside area and provide access to landscaped open spaces.

“This exciting development proposal will enable us to enhance our contribution to the local economy, and to deliver on the economic and academic growth priorities set out in the University’s 2017 -2027 strategy.”

Professor Susan Hart, Dean of Durham University’s Business School, said:

“The proposed state-of-the-art building will provide exceptional facilities not only for our students but also for the local community and business.

“The school is already a centre of entrepreneurship and innovation and this investment will enable us to further drive collaboration and business connectivity for the region and beyond.

“Elvet Waterside will create more capacity for use to continue to inspire globally focused, ethically-minded business leaders of the future.”

Photograph: topmba via creative commons