BREAKING: University season cancelled for most sports over Covid-19 fears

British Universities & Colleges Sport (), the governing body for university sport in the UK, has announced that the 2020-21 League and Knockout season has been cancelled, meaning most university-level sports will not be played competitively this academic year.

The only potential exception may be cricket; the Outdoor Cricket League is still intended to go ahead in Easter Term, though there is no guarantee that this will go ahead.

It is also hoped that individual sporting events can take place later in the year. These would not take place until at least March, and would not be a substitute for a regular season. No teams will be promoted or relegated this year. Information on specific sporting events will become available on the website.

The decision was taken by due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the unpredictable nature of nationwide restrictions. In a statement, wrote: “To put competition on during this time would risk player welfare and safety, and that is not a chance we are willing to take. Our aim is to remain flexible and react to the changing situation as quickly as possible.

“Over the last few months, we did all we could to try and make sport happen. We very much recognise the importance of sport, and the part it plays in the physical and mental wellbeing of students, especially at the moment.”

Durham has historically performed very well in these national leagues: the University has perennially ranked in the top three since 2012. Until recently, teams were looking forward to restarting fixtures in some capacity this term.

Image: Durham University