Breaking: student dies outside Missoula nightclub following crushing incident

By Tania Chakraborti

A 20-year-old Durham student died outside Missoula nightclub last night after reportedly being crushed.

According to eyewitnesses, the female student was trapped under a fence as students pushed it over while queuing for entry into the club. A resuscitation attempt was made by a doorman, but to no avail.

A resuscitation attempt was made by a doorman

A Durham Constabulary spokesman said: “Officers are investigating the death of a student.

“The 19-year-old Durham University student died in the vicinity of Missoula night club in Durham following an incident at about 11:55pm last night.

“The circumstances surrounding her death are unclear at this time.”

In a statement, a spokesperson for the North East Ambulance Service said: “We received a call at 23.50 to report an incident outside Missoula in Durham city centre in which someone had received a serious head injury.

“CPR was in progress and we sent three resources, including our HART team, as well as on officer, and sadly the patient died at the scene.”

UPDATE:

It has been revealed that the student who passed away was a member of University College.

University College students were encouraged to seek assistance from the college welfare team in an email sent out to all members of college by Professor David Held, Master of the college.

He said: “Our thoughts are with the student’s family and friends at this very difficult time.  For all of those that were close to the student this will be a devastating moment; for our whole Castle community this is a huge blow.”

On behalf of the University, Pro-Vice Chancellor Owen Adams wrote in an email: “I am very saddened to let you know that Durham Police are investigating the death of a Durham University student (University College) in Durham City last night (7 February).

“Our thoughts are with the student’s family and friends at this very difficult time.

Our thoughts are with the student’s family and friends at this very difficult time

“You will appreciate that I am unable to share further details given the ongoing Police investigation.

“We understand that some of our students may need to seek support and we advise that they contact their College Student Support Office in the first instance. I will share further updates as soon as I am able.”

An eyewitness, who wished to remain anonymous, told Palatinate: “I was about to join the queue when I saw the fence fall over with a few people going with it. It was clear there [were] a lot of people in the queue.

“As everyone got up, there was a lot of panic and she was lay on the floor bleeding from her head … Some people took their shirts off to soak up the blood, and she started getting CPR.

“Paramedics arrived quickly and the police taped off the area but she was very still. I left while they were still giving her CPR.”

If this incident has affected you, you can contact college support systems or the Counselling Service at 0191 334 2200.

Photograph: barnyz via Flickr