Bill Bryson library opens 200 new study spaces and ‘Small Island’ café

The Bill Bryson library has launched 200 extra study spaces, as well as a newly refurbished Café.

These extra study spaces and catering options are part of the University’s plan to accommodate the increase of students from Queen’s Campus, Stockton.

The library will now have a total of 1,800 study spaces, as well as 25 individual study rooms and two computer rooms which house scanning and printing facilities.

The library will now have a total of 1,800 study spaces, as well as 25 individual study rooms

This increase in study spaces means the ratio of study spaces to students has remained consistent even after the relocation of students and staff who were formerly based at Queen’s Campus.

200 extra study spaces are now available in the University Library

The refurbished Small Island Coffee café (named after Bill Bryson’s best-selling travelogue Notes from a Small Island) is now based on Level 2 in the eDen space, and is open to both students and staff. It features food and hot drinks (including four different types of Hot Chocolate).

The coffee will be sourced from roasters in Northallerton and negotiated through direct trade agreements.

The refurbished “Small Island Coffee” café is now based in on Level 2 in the eDen space

Professor David Cowling, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Arts and Humanities), who is responsible for the University’s library services, said: “A university library is fundamental to any student’s education and experience.

Photograph:

“Our beloved ‘Billy B’ Library is no different – with well over a million visits each year, over 1.5 million items in our print collection, almost 20,000 electronic journals and over 400,000 e-books – it is a treasure trove of information, ideas, and stories.

“These works mean more study spaces, more catering provision, improved facilities for our disabled students, and, ultimately, an even better library.

“I’d like to thank everyone who regularly uses the library for their patience while these works have been going on.”

These works mean more study spaces, more catering provision, improved facilities for our disabled students, and, ultimately, an even better library

Professor David Cowling, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Arts and Humanities)

Other developments to the Library include a hot water tap for student use, four accessible study rooms (with two of them being adapted for students requiring wheelchair access) as well as the printers being moved to the space previously occupied by the IT service desk.

Photograph:

The Library café was closed from September last year for “extensive remodelling” work. The previous Yum Café is now being relocated to the eDen, along with more seating.

While refurbishments have been underway, a coffee cart and a marquet with various food stalls have been placed outside the Library. These provided food from local restaurants such as the burger joint Fat Hippo and Phi Pie, which sells traditional Greek cuisine, and hot drinks from from Coffee Supreme.

Photograph: Durham University