Bill Bryson Library café to re-open

The Bill Bryson Library café will re-open from Monday 26th April, the first day of term. The café was closed to library users throughout Epiphany Term due to Covid-19 restrictions.

The café, known as the Small Island Café after Bill Bryson’s best-selling travelogue Notes from a Small Island, will be open seven days a week. On weekdays the café will be open from 8am-8pm, and between 10am-6pm on weekends.

Library users who have booked to visit the Bill Bryson Library will be able to pre-order items through the café’s click and collect takeaway service.

This week the University announced that The Bill Bryson Library will be open for 22 hours a day, seven days a week from the start of Easter Term.

The library is currently only open on weekdays from 9am to 8pm and weekends from 1pm to 5:30pm, having had its opening times extended to from 9am-8pm on weekdays on Saturday 6th March.

The University’s library postal loans service – which was previously open only to academic staff, postgraduates and final-year undergraduates not currently residing in Durham – is now available to all students based in the UK who are not currently in Durham.

All study spaces at the University will also become “quiet zones” in order to facilitate students who may wish to complete assessments in University buildings.

The University owns 10 cafes and restaurants, which are located in teaching spaces, as well as in the Botanic Garden, Maiden Castle and on Palace Green.

Image: Durham University