Best Dressed List 2013

by

Haim-Band-Photo-02-1042x694

It would seem that Alexa Chung’s non-stop quest for world domination has been pushed into over drive this year, with countless campaigns for the likes of L’Oreal and Maje to name but a few and a collaboration with Eyeko, inspired by her iconic cat-eye makeup staple, not to mention the release of her first book, ‘It’. Oh and dedicated Chungsters can look forward to her hotly anticipated clothing range set to be released in 2014. Needless to say, with the never ending list of fabulously fashionable launch soirées to attend we have been treated to a delightful selection of equally fabulous ensembles. Stepping out in style at the British Fashion Awards, Chung wowed in a simple white sweet heart neckline mini dress courtesy of Stella McCartney, paired with sleek black Burberry wedges, proving exactly why she has been awarded with the British Style Award three years in a row. Other red carpet highlights include, a beautiful black velvet mini dress complete with halter neck rather reminiscent of the nineties and paired with her go to T-bar ballerina flats, or the exquisitely made midnight blue Christopher Kane dress or perhaps the A-line coat – which ultimately doubled as a dress – in an olive toned leopard print she chose for the Burberry SS14 show. Chung’s off duty garb is equally inspiring, think sixties French Rivera with snug little wool jumpers or a perfectly worn in leather jackets tied nonchalantly around the shoulders, teamed with the skinniest of skinny jeans, a sixties A-line leather skirt or of course with her beloved dungarees. Chung simply exudes cool and in all her fashion choices, a look which is not something you can just pick off the rack.

Alexa-Chung-Vogue-13Nov13-Getty_b_426x639
Alexa Chung

It may have taken Pixie Geldof some time to find her style, but it would appear that 2013 saw the former wild child take on a more mature look with a subtle nod to the mod inspired years of the sixties. Geldof got people talking and photographers snapping at the Serpentine Gallery Summer Party in an A-line mini dress by bourgeoning designer, and Pixie’s new best friend, Ashley Williams, with the word ‘subscribe’ printed over in red bubble writing and teamed with blood red suede pumps and her short pixie cut inspired by sixties pin up, Twiggy. Evoking a mix of sixties charm and fifties glamour, Geldof looked sophisticated in an all-black ensemble consisting of a short sleeved turtleneck sweater tucked into a PVC full skirt which fell just below the knee and accessorised with a kitsch bag in the shape of a shark cuddly toy. The long full skirt under a loosely fitted jumper has become Geldof’s signature look, providing a fashionably mod alternative to red carpet dressing.

A fashion moment was staged when Alex Turner took to the Pyramid Stage as Arctic Monkeys headlined Glastonbury this year, with Turner whipping the crowd in to a state of ecstasy in a black and silver thin striped blazer, teamed with perfectly tailored drain pipe suit trousers and of course his now iconic fifties inspired rocker quiff – a comb was produced halfway through the performance to slick back any fly away hairs. With the release of Arctic Monkeys new album, AM, Turner has orchestrated a wardrobe overhaul: think sharp fifties suits in retro prints, buttoned down short sleeved shirts, tassel loafers all finished off with those all-important rock star aviators and his dose of nonchalant cool, proving just why he is the frontman of the moment.

at
Alex Turner

Kate Moss is quite possibly the definition of cool. Some twenty or so years after capturing the attention of the fashion world with her perfect embodiment of nineties grunge with her paired down and effortless style of vintage slip dresses picked out at Portobello Market and paired with her then beloved Adidas trainers, Moss ultimately redefined what we understand to be a supermodel. Put simply, Kate Moss is a fashion icon. Her longevity in such a fickle and ever changing industry is unprecedented, the continuing impact of her style choices unheard of. Consequently, at this year’s British Fashion Awards, Moss was awarded the Special Recognition Award for her contribution to the world of fashion. Harking back to her routes in 2013, Moss looked decidedly cool in a Louis Vuitton slip dress with lace detailing, teamed with a silky soft faux fur coat and her signature dishevelled locks. At Glastonbury, Moss put many style rookies in their place, exuding nothing but rock chic in black skinny jeans, a loose fitting T and metallic blouse flung effortlessly over the top and accented with a melee of gold chains. When it comes to the style stakes she can simply do no wrong.

Resident DJ for Radio 1 and bestie to Harry Styles, some would argue, Nick Grimshaw a.k.a. Grimmie, has it all. While others would disagree, Grimmie certainly has it all when it comes to the fashion stakes. With his signature scruffed up crop, Grimmie isn’t afraid to give his staple look of skinny jeans and T-Shirts a shakeup, adding more flamboyant pieces to great effect – think oversized shearling coats and numerous layers of plaid shirts. He also knows how to rock a suit, often choosing more daring pieces that many would cower away from. For an exclusive pre-Brit party hosted by himself, Grimmie opted for a silky pyjama inspired two piece suit. Similarly, at the British Style Awards, he looked dapper in a velvet burgundy dinner jacket, teamed with a blue dress shirt, perfectly fitting drain pipe suit trousers and topped off with a bow tie, proving that Britain is en point when it comes to menswear.

suki-waterhouse-vogue-2dec13-getty_b_426x639
Suki Waterhouse

Former Burberry model and current belle to Bradley Cooper, Suki Waterhouse, rocks the sixties mod look like no other, always adding a touch of boho chic to proceedings. Think kitsch little dresses in candy sweet shades paired with Dr Martens and oversized and perfectly slouchy boyfriend inspired coats. Berets and round shaped sunglasses are her go to accessories, adding that perfect retro touch to complement her effortlessly tussled hair complete with feathery full fringe. Not afraid to take a fashion risk, Waterhouse has no issue with rocking a tailored suit, particular highlights include a Burberry striped number in white and slate grey as well as a flower print choice from Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti in dusky yellow and blues. When it comes to the red carpet, Waterhouse, has the luxury of having Christopher Bailey on tap, looking picture perfect at the British Fashion Awards in a lilac Burberry lace dress with plunging neckline, showing a more elegant side to her style, whilst still exuding that carefree boho vibe.

Exuding nothing but LA cool with long wispy hair, warn in leather biker jackets and barely-there denim cut offs, the Haim girls perfectly embody that downtown LA vibe echoed throughout their equally ethereal tunes. Este, Danielle and Alana have all forgone the tiresome clichés often championed by girl bands particularly when it comes to style, favouring vintage tartan skirts reminiscent of retro school uniforms, all-American baseball jackets thrown nonchalantly over the shoulders and more feminine skater dresses paired with roughed up Dr Martens. Despite eliciting a certain homogenous look, each band member has their own variation on this downtown LA look. Whilst Este opts to team her signature red lips with more flirtatious skater dresses and skirts perfect for twirling around on stage, Alana is often caught in an old band T usually left to fall below her teenie-tiny shorts. With the most androgynous style of the soft rock trio, Danielle favours a loose fitting apparel T, tucked effortlessly into a pair of ripped skinny jeans and finished off with her trusted fedora, proving that girl power is very much alive.

2012-fashion-necklace-designs-photos-1-3166895_0x440
Daria Shapovalova

Daria Shapovalova may not be a household name in Britain, yet, but she has certainly got the bevy of fashion aficionados talking with her eclectic mix of high end fashion such as Comme des Garcons, Christopher Kane and Haider Ackermann, and bourgeoning new designers from her native country, Ukraine. Blessed with enviously high cheek bones, topaz coloured eyes and that altogether alluring eastern European look, Shapovalova is simply captivating as Creative Director of Mercedes Benz Fashion Days. Shapovalova proved her style status at London Fashion Week, stepping out in a Balenciaga sweatshirt emblazoned with a vintage inspired film print, teamed with a silver petal skirt, chunky heeled high tops and an oversized menswear inspired coat draped over the top. Other highlights include a loose fitting overall inspired black jumpsuit accessorised with an equally oversized seventies-esque felt floppy hat and a miniature red satchel fashioned as a bum bag. Considered but never over thought, Daria’s refined style is simply unique.

There is no mistaking that Cara Delevingne is the model of the moment, with countless campaigns, magazine covers and an ample amount of tabloid space dedicated to her every move and every fashion choice. Whilst her off duty uniform consists of a casual concoction of Ts and jumpers often in bold prints, skinny jeans, her trusted Nike high tops and of course her compulsory beanie – the girl knows how to rock a hat – her red carpet get up is something quite different. Arguably the only guest to fully grasp the punk theme at this year’s Met Gala, Delevingne looked picture perfect in a Burberry floor length gown complete with plunging neckline and adorned with golden studs. Similarly, Delevingne stole the show at the Cannes Film Festival in another Burberry black floor length dress this time in lace and finished off with a smouldering smokey eye and blood red lips. But perhaps her most en point ensemble this year was the tailored white suit she wore to attend the opening of a Burberry boutique in Shanghai, exuding nothing but model sophistication and proving exactly why designers and fashion editors alike cannot get enough of her.  

Cara-Delevingne-Burberry-vogue-30aug13-pr_b_426x639
Cara Delevingne

When asked about his style icon for Vanity Fair, Keith Richards unapologetically replied ‘why should I (have one) … I am one!’, and put simply, he is. Thrusting around on the Pyramid Stage at this year’s Glastonbury Festival, Richards (and his bandmates) looked just as at home on stage as any of the others bands who were half their age, and that is no mean feat. With his signature pirate bandana secured tightly around his head, skull rings galore and scarves left hanging here there and everywhere around his neck and protruding from his trouser pockets, Richards looked just as good, perhaps even better, than he did fifty or so years ago proving that fashion may come and go but individual style will always last.

Rooney Mara is a breath of fresh air when it comes to the red carpet. Always in a palette of either black or white, Mara’s style, verging on the gothic and slightly futuristic, is refreshingly unique. This delicate balance of style was illustrated perfectly at this year’s Met Gala when she wore a delicate ivory hand-embroidered tulle gown, designed by the renowned Riccardo Tisci, complete with plunging back and neckline as well as a feathery light short train. In the hands of anyone else, this extraordinary piece may have looked over the top, but with Mara’s slicked back hair, porcelain complexion and berry drenched lips, she looked nothing but other worldly. Similarly, Mara looked equally futuristic in a short structured dress by Balenciaga with a translucent cape over the top, acting almost as a whimsical form of protection against the barrage of fans and photographers.

rooney-mara-vogue-7may13-pa_b_426x639
Rooney Mara

Runway favourite amongst the biggest designers and fashion houses alike, an illustrious Victoria’s Secret model and face of Estée Lauder’s revered beauty campaigns, Liu Wen is no stranger to style. Perfectly exuding that oh so chic and nonchalant off duty model uniform season after season, Wen is a favourite with the unforgiving street style photographers. Wen proved that paired down style always comes out top, whipping photographers into a frenzy during Paris’ Haute Couture Fashion Week in ripped black skinny jeans, cut out patent boots and an oversized black Givenchy T adorned with saint like iconography. Her vintage inspired bottle green Tasmanian Devil jumper, paired with skinny jeans and on trend chunky red heeled brogues proved equally simple and effortless. Demonstrating just how to wear this season’s faux fur trend, Wen offset an all-black ensemble with a fluorescent pink shaggy coat courtesy of Fendi, adding that envious model touch.

Whether you love her or hate her, we have certainly all been talking about Miley Cyrus this year. Having shed her wholesome image as America’s darling daughter, Cyrus has made an array of bold fashion statements which have launched her into the dizzying world of high fashion. Her choice of a vintage Dolce & Gabbana two piece for the VMAs – not her barely-there nude ensemble she chose to twerk herself around Robin Thicke I hasten to add – consisting of a long sleeved crop top and high wasted leggings, both emblazoned with an array of colourful and oversized jewels and finished off with Giuseppe Zanotti black platforms outshone her contemporaries who opted for uninspiring pieces. Her street style garb is equally refreshing in the overwhelming sea of Hollywood clones – think leather skirts popping out of vintage band Ts and topped off with silver ankle strap heels, oversized basketball jerseys accessorised with feminine heels, or Versace Versus print leggings teamed with an oversized jumper and golden flatforms.

3ttempah_v_2jan13_rex_b_426x639
Tinie Tempah

Fusing urban street wear with sophisticated tailoring, Tinie Tempah certainly marches to his own beat. Tinie sported a slim fitting Paul Smith suit in post box red to attend the Tom Ford dinner party at London Fashion Week, completing the look with a crisp white oxford shirt, bow tie, tasselled loafers and of course his signature black framed glasses. Always preferring his suit trousers to graze his ankles, often revealing a velvet loafer here or a brightly coloured pair of desert shoes there, Tinie always offers an unexpected twist to the traditional suit whilst maintaining his urban charm. 

Photography courtesy of vogue.uk, vogue.it & enola.be