BREAKING: At least 79 Covid-19 cases among Durham staff and students

Durham University has reported 79 Covid-19 cases amongst students and staff, including 70 cases in the last seven days.

In an email to students, the University announced that it would be publishing weekly updates on the total number of cases. This will only include cases reported by staff and students through relevant reporting systems, such as a student’s College Student Support Office.

Three of the total cases reported are among staff, and 76 among students. Figures are taken for all staff and students, not just those living and working on campus or in Durham City. 

Palatinate understands that at least five freshers’ representatives (‘freps’), who help new students move in, have tested positive for coronavirus – two in Josephine Butler College, and one in St. Mary’s College and University College.

Durham has made a small number of saliva testing kits available to each College to coincide with students arriving at college for the start of term. 

The tests will only be made available to students experiencing symptoms, and they are not to be used as a replacement for the NHS testing facility when there are spaces available.

Cases have increased significantly in the North East over the past few days, including in Northumbria University, where 770 students tested positive for the virus and are now isolating.

Image:Scott Hewitt via Unsplash