An Arab’s guide on how to make the best hummus

Fun fact: hummus is actually just the word for chickpeas in Arabic, though it also refers to the yummy spread.

Hummus, a Durham favourite, often enjoyed with carrots or bread or bell peppers (my go-to) is actually one of the easiest things to make from scratch, and about 10x cheaper to do so as well. In fact, all one really needs to make hummus is:

• Chickpeas
  • Tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • Lemon juice
  • Garlic
  • Olive oil

If you stick all that in a food processor, or even just mash it up by hand, then you’ll be treated to some fresh and easy hummus. Though, I want to go beyond that and give some of my favourite variations to make on the dish, as well as some tips and tricks I’ve been taught by my family over the years.

1. De-skin the chickpeas

Do you ever feel ill after eating hummus or making it on your own? Well, that’s probably because the chickpeas weren’t deskinned. While it’s a bit of a time-consuming process, it’s fully worth it to enjoy the food without your tummy hurting. I recommend turning on the TV and watching a show while you do it.

1. Use spices and herbs

They make all the difference. In my family, we typically like to add fresh parsley, cumin, ground coriander, salt and pepper to ours as they fully bring out the flavours.

3. USE OLIVE OIL

This heavenly substance belongs both in the mixture, but also on top when you finish it. If you want to look like a proper professional, do not do what I’ve done in the photos and properly take a spoon and make a divet in which it can sit.

No description available.
Just the standard hummus with parsley and regular garlic. Throw some unmashed chickpeas in to get a nice crunch.

4. My personal alterations that I like to do:

Here is where things get controversial. Before I go further, yes, I really am Arab, and yes I do this, and my family eats it, and we all agree it tastes good. So, long story short, feel free to experiment (except with chocolate, please don’t make chocolate hummus, that’s just wrong). BUT, I personally don’t like the strong flavour of tahini so typically I use it sparingly, and instead use greek yoghurt to add a tangy but not sesame flavour (this is also the perfect hack if you’re allergic to sesame). Also, roasted garlic. Listen: ROASTED GARLIC. This tastes good in every variation of hummus ever. It also tastes good on its own as a variation. Typically, I toss the garlic in to roast while I peel the chickpeas. Check out ‘Roasting garlic: the perfect butter alternative’, for instructions on how to roast it. Now onto my alternative hummus recipes (ironically, all of which turn out green):

a. Avocado hummus

Ingredients

• Peeled Chickpeas
  • 1 avocado
  • Tahini
  • Greek yogurt (optional)
  • Salt 
  • Pepper
  • Cumin
  • Lemon juice
  • Ground coriander
  • Fresh coriander
  • Garlic

Take all ingredients, blend together and enjoy.

b. Spinach and parsley hummus

• Peeled Chickpeas
  • Spinach (baby is preferable)
  • Fresh parsley
  • Cumin
  • Ground coriander
  • Tahini
  • Greek yogurt
  • Lemon juice
  • Roasted garlic (normal is fine but I recommend the roasted one here)
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Once again, you just have to blend it all together and enjoy.

Personally, I like to use this one as a way to get my spinach greens in. The flavour of the spinach is somewhat muted here, so perfect for those who aren’t big spinach lovers. 

And there you have it, my guide on how to make great hummus from scratch!

Image credit: