Alumni receive New Years Honours

By Emily Doughty

14 leading Durham alumni have been honoured in the New Years Honours list, including one alumnus receiving a knighthood.

One of the alumni to receive recognition was Sir William Russell, who received a knighthood for his actions as Lord Mayor of London during the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Another alumnus who received an award for her actions during the Covid-19 pandemic was Margaret Sidwell who received a BEM for services to her community in Barton-upon-Humber during the pandemic.

In an interview to Lincs FM Sidwell said, “It’s rather humbling, and it’s somewhat overwhelming.”

Michael Howes-Robert also received an MBE for his work during the Covid-19 pandemic for his in Government Technology. 

Elsewhere in Government, Deputy director of HMS Treasury Oliver Haydon received an OBE for services to European Negotiations and Mark Lloyd received a CBE for his work in local government and Charity. Also honoured for their work for the government was Professor Nicola Horsley who was awarded an OBE due to her work on Plant health as part of DEFRA. 

Professor Horsley said, “I am truly honoured, but it is a team effort so huge thanks to my brilliant colleagues and everyone in the UK Plant Health Service.”

“I am truly honoured, but it is a team effort”

Professor Nicola horsley via twitter @plantchief

Alan Lowdon also received an OBE for services to UK-US offshore wind collaboration.

Recognised for their services to education, Virtual School Head Alan Clifton was awarded an MBE for services for Children in Care and managing director of M2r education, Munir Mamujee who received an MBE for services for education and exports who said the honour was, “A great way to start 2022.”

Head of Services Delivery at Suffolk Libraries, Krystal Vittles received a CBE for services to public libraries.

Due to her work as managing director for Agencia Consulting, Helen Gibson has received an MBE for her services to International trade. Talking to BBC Humberside, Gibson said, “its absolutely brilliant. still sort of taking it in, bit of a surprise.” 

Former ICE President and Executive Director of WSP Rachel Skinner received a CBE for her services to Infrastructure. 

Alumni who were honoured for their work is sports and culture were Director of the Garfield Weston Foundation,  Phillipa Charles who received an OBE for Services to Arts, Culture and Community Recovery, Curator and Cultural Historian Mark Sealy who received an OBE for services to Art and Chief Executive of the Paralympic Association, Michael Sharrock who received an OBE for services to athletes with disabilities.