Album Review: Bruno Major – To Let a Good Thing Die

It has been three years since Bruno Major released A Song for Every Moon, a stunning, personal album, establishing himself as one of the perfect artists to listen to cosying up in the summer sun. After teasing fans with singles over the past months, he returns with To Let a Good Thing Die, his much-awaited sophomore album. Does his latest work pack the same emotional punch as his debut album?

It opens with Old Soul, a lament about his love-life, expressing music (more specifically Soul music) to be the cure to his love maladies. In The Most Beautiful Thing, through a guitar-driven ballad he ponders the concept of soulmates. In directing his ode to the ‘most beautiful thing that I have never seen’, he conjures the idea of a soulmate out there whom he’s simply never met. ‘Will it be a pavement or a sidewalk?’ he wonders; love can easily be about being in the right place at the right time.

Nothing is the perfect song to encapsulate those lazy Sunday afternoons in the company of your special someone, and perhaps epitomises the album as a whole. In his almost lullaby-like tune, Major claims fancy adventures are nothing compared to just being with each other, ‘who needs stars? We’ve got a roof’. As long as he’s together with his love, he’s happy, ‘there’s nothing like doing nothing with you’. Old Fashioned gives the listener a similar look into the romantic side of Major’s charming mind. 

“The relatability of a lot of Bruno Major’s music is a part of its charm”.

Not all the songs have quite the same air of happiness to them, Regent’s Park tells the story of a breakup, a song whose upbeat manner doesn’t match the sadness behind its lyrics. ‘I lost more than money, dear’ he claims, wishing it would rain, as he finds himself pondering the beauty of his heart-breaker still.

The relatability of a lot of Bruno Major’s music is a part of its charm. She Chose Me echoes the sentiments that some of us are lucky enough to feel; why did this beautiful special someone choose me? Yet, relatability and personality are often interwoven in his songs; Figment of my Mind tells the story of a transcendental moment which took place in Los Angeles, where Major claims to have had his life’s true path revealed to him (albeit through an experience on DMT).

Tapestry takes us on a journey akin to that which we find in Wouldn’t Mean a Thing in Major’s debut album, saying that with all the beautiful things he has seen in his life, his love will always be the chef-d’oeuvre to him. I’ll Sleep when I’m Older has a similar sense of a journey, a hopeful tune almost in the form of a bucket list; there are too many beautiful things all across the world for Bruno to want to sleep just yet.

“The album concludes seemingly in the blink of an eye, and yet, he has managed to convey so many different stories to us”.

The eponymous To Let a Good Thing Die seems, the perfect conclusion to the album. A song that delves into the futility of trying to resuscitate a dead relationship, he appreciates the need to let some things go. The album concludes seemingly in the blink of an eye, and yet, he has managed to convey so many different stories to us. There are highs and lows, and the thread that holds the album together is the truly personable recounting of life. As Bruno Major, in his trademark soft-spoken manner, bids farewell to the listener, we pray that his is a good thing that won’t be dying anytime soon.

Image: Free-Photos from Pixabay.