will.i.am visits Durham University’s new Ogden Centre

By Natasha Livingstone

will.i.am recently visited Durham University’s Ogden Centre on 28th November. Students and researchers were visited by the popular artist alongside Atom bank, the UK’s first bank built for smartphones and tablets, where will.i.am is the Strategic Broad Advisor.

The University aimed to show the Black Eyed Peas star how it is engaging young people in science and technology.

will.i.am was shown exhibits from the Chemistry and Mathematics departments which included a virtual reality fly-through of the Universe and a computer simulator where the user can create their own cosmos.

The artist has an honorary fellowship at the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) and founded the i.am.angel foundation in LA, which brings STEAM programmes (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Maths) to ‘undeserved communities’.

Jane Robinson, Chief Operating Officer at Durham University, stated of the visit: “Durham is a World Top 100 University, renowned for the quality of its research.

“An important aspect of our work is to communicate that research to the wider world, to further understanding, and to encourage people to become engaged in education and innovation, whatever their interests.

“It was wonderful to welcome Atom bank and will.i.am to the University so they could see the strength of just some of the outreach activities delivered by our staff and students.”

Photograph: Durham University