University to lobby for rights of EU citizens to remain in UK

By Eugene Smith

Durham University will lobby the government for the rights of EU citizens to remain in the UK, as Britain formally enters the process of leaving the European Union.

The University has also announced it will work through Universities UK (UUK) and the Russell Group to protect continued access to EU research funding and to “make the case for immigration and work regimes which properly value and facilitate the contributions of international staff and students.”

In an email sent to all students, Vice-Chancellor Stuart Corbridge added: “We do not expect significant changes during this two-year timeframe [of Brexit negotiations], but we are mindful that this is a worrying time for current prospective … students from across the European Union.

“I would like to reiterate that Durham University is immensely proud of the contributions of all of our staff members and students who come from diverse nationalities and cultural backgrounds. We flourish because we are an inclusive and outward looking community.”

Sir Tim Barrow, Permanent Representative of the UK to the EU, officially triggered Article 50 today by handing a letter of secession to Donald Tusk, the President of the European Council.

Mrs May, who signed the letter last night, told MPs that Britain’s departure from the EU is a “historic moment from which there can be no turning back”.

Photograph: FutureAtlas.com