Turning Over a New Leaf

This year is shaping up to be an exciting one for book lovers. 2016 heralds the release of highly-anticipated books like The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel, author of Life of Pi; The Long Cosmos, the final book in the series by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter; and Meg Rosoff’s first book for adults, Jonathan Unleashed. There are also many exciting book-to-film adaptations coming up, including Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, The BFG, Alice Through the Looking Glass and The Girl on the Train. 2016 is also an important year for anniversaries: April marks the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death as well as the 200th anniversary of Charlotte Brontë’s birth. Look out for plenty of Shakespeare-themed events this year, including a touring production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. We’ve collected some of your reading resolutions for 2016 – hopefully they might inspire you to enjoy some of the upcoming highlights of the year.

Katherine Bett

12647714_10153927874959083_108935116_nMy reading resolution is to read all the books on my bookshelf. There are loads of great books just sitting there that haven’t even been opened! Titles like ‘The 39 Steps’, ‘Frankenstein’ and ‘Catch 22’ that probably came from a charity shop and would benefit from being read. I’ll hopefully mean I can discover some great new works that didn’t initially appeal to me.

Bruno Martin

IMG_0233This year I resolve to start (and finish!) reading non-fiction books. My list is full of excellent works, from travel books to science communication, that I can never quite finish in the way I consume novels. To start, I’ll be happy to pick up where I left Bill Bryson’s The Lost Continent, Christopher McDougall’s Born to run and Yuval Harari’s Sapiens: a brief history of humankind.

Thomas Barber

12105753_10203741854267098_1377645731203193478_nMy reading resolution for 2016 is to read more non-fiction. When you’re buried in course reading that doesn’t bat an eyelid at Bottom being transformed into an ass, knights gallantly questing into faerie land, and authors who barely seem capable of stringing a sentence together *cough* Joyce *cough”, it’s easy to lose touch with reality. So whether it’s a history of the Somme or Nadiya’s new recipe book, I’ll be trying to get back in touch with the real world and reading more non-fiction this year.

Anna Hupcejová

12648011_10153927874954083_1814310043_nMy 2016 resolution concerns both reading and writing. Being an English postgraduate student, my reading list mainly includes authors of the Medieval and Romantic periods – and this has to change! Since I want to become a short story writer, it is important to be aware of contemporary authors, publishers and literary magazines. Of course, there are far too many titles published every year, so I will limit myself to short stories in English-language literary magazines (New Yorker, Ploughshares, Paris Review, for starters) with the aim of extending my reading horizons as well as finding a potential platform for my own stories.

Harriet Cunningham

1416680981240As a first year languages student, my literary New Year’s Resolution for 2016 is to fully immerse myself in French literature for the first time, both as part of my course and outside of the curriculum. I’d love to read translations of my favourite books for a challenge!

Photographs: Colin Knowles via Flickr, Lydia Hargreaves, Jorge Marcos, Beth Beaden, Anna Hupcejová, Harriet Cunningham