The Budapest Menu

By Anna Ley

Budapest is a city as rich in flavours, textures and tastes as it is in history. A food-lover’s paradise, the capital is seasoned with fantastic eating experiences at the very heart of its culture. Most tourists will be dipping into the many thermal baths Budapest boasts, but very few will submerge their taste buds into the tantalising taste of its traditional cuisine.

Karavan is a great spot to experience the highlights of Hungarian flavours all in one place.

If you are rushing through the city as part of a long interrail route or just a quick mini break, Karavan is a great spot to experience the highlights of Hungarian flavours all in one place. This quirky courtyard boasts a spread of traditional snacks and meals sold in kiosks and stands. Enjoy your traditional sausage, langos and goulash al fresco in this well-priced and relaxed courtyard.

Culinary delights can be sourced elsewhere for cheaper if you go looking for them. Lángos are littered all over Budapest, in every tourist market stall and café. For the best price, head off the beaten track and into the backstreets of Budapest to Tomi Lángos where you can indulge in Hungary’s fatty favourite for only £2. This deep fried bread snack, traditionally smothered with a rich sour cream and sprinkled with cheese, is a must have on Budapest’s best eats and will likely leave you so stuffed that you do not need to eat again.

For the sweet-toothed amongst us, chimney cake will complete your Budapest menu. The warmth of this sweet, cinnamon cake makes it the perfect snack to feast on while strolling down the banks of the river.

A real Hungarian food experience is incomplete without the perfect year-round comfort food: a warm bowl of goulash soup followed by Chicken paprikash.

A real Hungarian food experience is incomplete without the perfect year-round comfort food: a warm bowl of goulash soup followed by Chicken paprikash. Chicken paprikash is typically served as a chicken thigh lathered with creamy paprika sauce and accompanied with some odd-looking noodles. Your goulash and paprikash fix can be found at the many taverns dotted around the city, such as Dionysus Taverna, in which you can feast to the backdrop of Hungarian folk music. To go easy on the student budget, check out Mistro Bistro, a restaurant hidden amongst the expensive eateries of Budapest’s seventh district. Here, you can indulge in an inexpensive three course set menu.

Finish with a palate cleanse of a round of Palinka, a traditional Hungarian brandy, in one of the city’s many ruin pubs. At £5 a time, don’t be fooled into thinking this is a long and enjoyable drink, rather, knock back a shot of this sickeningly strong shot to a roar of egészségedre! (cheers).

Image: Wikimedia Commons