Temporary Closure of St. Aidan’s bar

By Clara Gaspar

Last week, the acting principal of St Aidan’s College announced the temporary closure of Aidan’s college bar.

Stefan Klidzia cited the immediate closure as a response to ‘an inspection by the police and licensing officer.’ The temporary closure comes after strict guidelines were implemented before the St Aidan’s Meet the Parents evening on Saturday.

In a Facebook post preceding the event, the JCR president of St Aidan’s, Luke Hollander, stated that the evening would be undergoing “major compromises to deal with college staff who have put loads of pressure on restricting the event.” He wrote that these restrictions meant “Livers’ Out without kids won’t be allowed to attend, no champagne reception, drink limits, and some members of the Exec on duty throughout the night.”

St Aidan’s bar steward, Riaz Rafique, also clarified that on the night, students would be limited to four drink servings per order, meaning four single beverages or a single pitcher or bottle of wine.

According to Mr Rafique’s statement, these constraints were necessary “due to issues which have occurred previously, particularly concerning damages and excessive alcohol consumption.”

An anonymous St Aidan’s student told Palatinate about an incident at the Meet the Parents night in accommodation block B-curve during which students “trashed the ceiling”. The student stated: “Everyone was really drunk and they just punched it and it fell.”

Owen Adams, Durham University’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor of Colleges and Student Experience said: “The safety of our staff and students is our top priority.

“Following a routine inspection of St Aidan’s College bar by Durham Constabulary and Durham County Council on Friday 6 October, the College management took the decision to temporarily close the bar.

“The bar will reopen when measures are in place that demonstrate we are fulfilling our licensing objectives, including additional staff training.”

The bar was reopened on Friday, 13th October.

Photograph by Orangeaurochs via Flickr and Creative Commons