St Cuthbert’s Hospice fireworks event raises £20,000

By Tania Chakraborti

On the 4th November, £20,000 was raised for St Cuthbert’s Hospice fireworks event at Framwellgate school.

Durham University student society Purple Radio was approached by the charity to provide music for the gig.

Over 3000 people attended the event at £5 per head, raising a significant amount of money for the charity. St Cuthbert’s Hospice provide specialist palliative care for patients affected by life-limiting illnesses.

The Hospice approached Purple Radio at the end of September to provide music for the event.

Head of Production, Emily Kilner, said: “we arranged a meeting, then sent a proposal of some options of how we could help.”

Many members of the station attended the event, including Station Manager Alok Kumar and Assistant Station Manager Liam Procter.

St Cuthbert’s Hospice commented that “excellent music” was provided “throughout the night”.

Alok Kumar, Station Manager, told Palatinate: “Purple Radio’s outreach efforts provided entertainment for thousands of people at an event designed to raise money for a fantastic cause.

“Student involvement with the community is not only beneficial for the perception of students and student organisations amongst local residents but also allows for opportunities of great change and progress.

“Whether it’s raising money for local causes such as St Cuthbert’s Hospice or reporting on Durham WFC’s successes, students have a fantastic opportunity to aid and influence in their community. Purple Radio aims to continue its outreach efforts and maintain strong relationships with the Durham community.”

Photograph: Nick Boreham