Review: Fat Hippo, Gourmet Burgers and Gluttony

By Divya Shastri

A relatively new addition to Durham’s budding food scene, Fat Hippo serves American style burgers, appetizers and milkshakes. Looking at its black exterior, I had envisioned a dark and dingy interior, but I was pleasantly surprised to see stone flooring, wooden furniture and Edison lights. This made for a cosy and inviting setting; something relaxed and enjoyable.

I went along with my friend Phoebe to Fat Hippo for lunch to see what the newest burger joint in town had to offer. We were immediately seated and had our drink order taken. The staff were very polite and accommodating, and kindly made me an iced tea despite it not being on the menu.

At Fat Hippo there is a wide-ranging drink menu that has a variety of drinks and milkshakes, including some naughty milkshakes that have liquor in them! The food menu itself is extensive with mouth-watering appetizers such as mac and cheese balls and cheesy nachos. There is also a very nice selection of burgers available for meat eaters and vegetarians. Fat Hippo also provides vegetarian and vegan menus which is nice for those with different dietary preferences. I ordered the Veggie Gastro while Phoebe opted for the eponymous Fat Hippo. The service was swift and in fifteen minutes we had our burgers placed in front of us.

Fat hippo

The Veggie Gastro patty was crispy and along with sundried tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto, felt luxurious to the taste buds. The Fat Hippo was mammoth with its toppings of chorizo, bacon and onion rings, but the patty itself was juicy and the flavours worked together incredibly well.

Another great feature of Fat Hippo is the lunch offer they have going. As a student, who is always looking for a filling meal which won’t make a dent in my wallet, I was intrigued by the ‘Fast Hippo’ menu, and the offer to get a burger with fries for five pounds. The ‘Fast Hippo’ menu has three beef options and one chicken, and vegetarian. For the price you pay, you get a nice meal that will keep you sated until dinner.

Overall Fat Hippo caters to those who are looking to have a nice meal as well as students looking for a delicious and inexpensive meal. The atmosphere is fun and the food filling. I highly recommend giving Fat Hippo a chance. Who knows, you may like it better than Tango!

Photographs: Phoebe Dill