Premier League spending spree shows no signs of letting up

By Phoebe Evans

With over a month left in the transfer window, Premier League clubs are not holding back on their spending this summer.

Chelsea’s signing of Alvaro Morata has caused a lot of talk in the media as of late, as he appears to be replacing Diego Costa as the main striker in Antonio Conte’s vision for the Blues’ future. Relations between Costa and Conte, his manager, seem to have broken down in recent weeks after Conte stated in a text that Costa was no longer part of his plans at the club. Morata looks to be a strong replacement for the Brazilian-born Spain international as he could play well alongside the likes of Eden Hazard.

Another big signing for the West London club has been Tiemoue Bakayoko from Monaco. Bakayoko’s arrival at Chelsea puts Nemanja Matic’s future at the club in doubt, with rumours suggesting he will move to rivals Manchester United. Conte seems to be making his mark this summer regarding who he does and does not see in his team for the coming seasons.

Arsenal also made waves by signing Alexandre Lacazette from Lyon. The Frenchman has played at the Ligue 1 side since being a youth player and his arrival has excited Arsenal fans and neutrals alike. Like Morata, he is a player who has skill on and off the ball, and isn’t afraid to run at the defence to create his own chances. It may be good timing that Arsenal have signed a strong forward as there are heavy rumours that Alexis Sanchez could be leaving the Gunners soon.

Romelu Lukaku’s move from Everton to Manchester United for an initial £75 million – a price tag which has high expectations attached to it – has also been a highlight of the transfer window. Lukaku has stepped up to the plate and played with confidence on United’s US pre-season tour, scoring two strong goals against Real Salt Lake and Manchester City. His quick acclimatisation may have been helped by his close relationship with Paul Pogba, with the two seen training together before the tour started in the States.

This transfer window has already seen some exciting new signings in the Premier League, and with plenty of time and money left there could be many more on the horizon.

With the Premier League welcoming some star players it is inevitable that some of its own A-listers will be departing. Alexis Sanchez has been linked with PSG, while Philippe Coutinho seems to be the subject of interest from the Chilean’s former club, Barcelona. Coutinho’s potential departure could be a worry for Liverpool, even though Jurgen Klopp and his team are bidding for RB Leipzig player Naby Keita.

Riyad Mahrez has also been linked with a move away from Leicester City, after proving to be a solid player despite Leicester’s struggle last season. Leicester’s owner has dismissed these rumours, but with no Champions League football this coming season, 2017-18 doesn’t promise the same level of football for the Algeria international if he stays at the King Power Stadium.

Tottenham have been very quiet so far this window, with the only notable transfer being Kyle Walker’s £50m move to Manchester City. Spurs were very strong last season, putting Chelsea under pressure in a title race which many considered well and truly sealed. Everton’s Ross Barkley has been one of Tottenham’s only rumoured targets, and the Englishman would add even more depth to an already strong midfield.

This transfer window has already seen some exciting new signings in the Premier League, and with plenty of time and money left there could be many more on the horizon. Hopefully, with the arrival of these top players, we could see English sides getting further in the Champions League and returning to the top of European football.

Photograph: Wikimedia Commons