Plans submitted to build student accommodation in former Durham hotel

By Jack Reed

Plans have been lodged by  Three Tuns Developments Ltd to knock down and make changes to parts of the former Three Tuns Hotel in New Elvet, which closed in 2013, to create more student accommodation.

Some of the buildings that are included in the proposal lie within the city’s conservation area and the hotel has been Grade II listed since 1988.

This summer, Durham County Council granted permission for the remaining 15 rooms in the building, including three offices and the old drawing room, to be refurbished.

These were replaced by new studio flats, which come with kitchen fittings and en-suite bathrooms. There is now the capacity for up to 50 students after the developments over the summer.

The  most recent submitted application contains plans to demolish the buildings at the rear of the site, which back onto Elvet Methodist Church.

The application contained a heritage evaluation, due to the concerns over the impact such a development may have on the local area. It states that the proposed plan “causes less than substantial harm to a number of the assets, but that the overall proposal and public benefits of such a scheme outweigh that harm.”

All neighbouring residents and businesses are aware of the application, which can be accessed on the council’s website.

The deadline for representations to be made to the planning department at the council is 7th December.

Photograph: Sophie Gregory

[This article was amended at 16:40 on 30th November to make it clear that Durham University does not own the hotel, and is not involved in the planning application. Although the University acquired the hotel in 2013, its current owner is now Three Tuns Developments Ltd.]