O2 Touch Rugby comes to Durham

By Ollie Godden

The latest news from Maiden Castle is the arrival of O2 Touch, the non-contact version of rugby, emphasising running, agility and handling skills.

Played on a flat surface, half the size of a conventional sports field, O2 Touch is, to quote the website itself, “the game taking the world by storm” – and it’s hard to disagree with commercial leagues already set up in England, Scotland, South Africa and New Zealand.

The sport prides itself on its ability to provide a good test of fitness and cardiovascular exercise away from monotonous gym sessions on the treadmill and bike. Moreover, the accessibility of the sport makes it open to everyone from beginners to veterans, a key facet reaffirmed by Programme Leader Roshini Turner.

Speaking about the possibility of implementing the sport of touch rugby at an even deeper level, College Sport Coordinator LJ Crawford described how the idea was to abide by O2 Touch regulations for the first year of its existence in Durham.

If successful, the sport can then begin to be rolled out to an inter-collegiate environment, provided that it does not tread on the toes of the rugby system already in place.

The sessions are running this term on Saturdays from 5-6:30pm on 3G1 and more information can be found on the weekly events hosted on Facebook. You can find out more information by searching DurhamUniO2Touch on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Photograph: Marlow Rugby Union Football Club