New Guardian University Tables Rank Durham Sixth in the UK

by Emma Pinckard

Durham University has been ranked sixth in the UK by The Guardian in results published today.

The results show the University maintaining its strong position within the top ten, having also being ranked in sixth place by the Complete University Guide earlier this year.

While the top five consists of Cambridge, Oxford, St Andrews, Surrey and Loughborough; Durham ranked above Imperial, Lancaster, Warwick and Bath, which complete the top ten.

The Guardian gave the University an overall score of 84.9, in addition to giving graduate career prospects a high score of 83%.

However, in comparison to other universities Durham’s expenditure per student was low and given only 5.5 out of 10. Additionally, the student to staff ratio was higher than the rest of the top ten at 14.7.

The University was also highly positioned in the individual subject rankings, placing third for Geography, Modern Languages, Education and Sports Science, second for Forensic Science and Archaeology, and taking first place for English.

The tables are based on information provided by the Higher Education Statistic Agency and the National Student Survey, and evaluate and rank 119 UK universities.

Durham is also one of the world’s top 100 universities, according to both the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, and the QS World University Rankings, which placed the University at 70th and 61st respectively.

Photograph: Venus Loi