Mildert beat Cuth’s on penalties to progress in Floodlit Cup

By John Evans

ball61

Van Mildert A’s progressed through to the second round of the Floodlit Cup after defeating Cuthbert’s A’s on penalties in a thrilling encounter on Wednesday night last week.

Mildert led 2-0 for the majority of the game, but a late comeback from St Cuthbert’s forced the tie to penalties.

Both sides held their nerve well, each scoring their first four penalties, until Cuth’s fifth was well kept out by a diving stop from the Mildert keeper.

This meant the Hill college could win the tie with their final spot-kick, which was duly converted and prompted jubilant celebrations from the amassed Mildert support.

Mildert had taken the lead in the first ten minutes of the game when the Cuth’s defence failed to clear a whipped free kick, which was prodded home.

A scrappy affair was punctuated with set-piece chances for both sides, and Mildert doubled their lead when a corner fell to the feet of a Mildert player on the edge of the box, who smashed past Cuth’s keeper Nick Woolhead.

But the real drama happened late-on. A controversial penalty was awarded to Cuth’s on eighty minutes, and Tom Haste stepped up to send the ‘keeper the wrong way and half the deficit.

And that man Haste popped up again to find the equaliser for Cuth’s, flicking in a low corner to send the tie to penalties.

Although Mildert progressed after a tense shoot-out, both teams can be proud of their performance in a match that was a great advert for College football.

Photograph: Jarrett Campbell