London Fashion Weekend

By: Anna Callahan

Thousands of journalists, buyers and celebrities attend fashion month each season, but thousands more watch from afar. London Fashion Weekend was established with the aim of giving ordinary people the opportunity to experience fashion first hand.

As the only event of its kind, it is a must-do for any fashion lover. Not only does the four-day event offer shows put together by both designers and professional stylists, but it also hosts talks from key people in the industry and a shopping experience. The event truly does boast an atmosphere of enthusiasm and style. Amongst its attendees is probably the next generation of the fashion industry.

From my seat on the benches lining the catwalk, the eagerness and excitement of every spectator was obvious. For the first time, ordinary people have the chance to see shows from some of fashion week’s favourite designers such as Preen by Thornton Bregazzi, Edeline Lee, Sibling and J.JS Lee. Additionally, trend shows offer a visual guide to the latest season’s key trends. This September, the catwalk showcased velvet, winter florals and lace for autumn/winter 2016.

Between shows guests bustle through the lower rooms of the Saatchi gallery, where a number of brands sell their pieces below market price. From Chloé and Céline to top London boutiques to vintage, there is something for everyone. The shopping on offer is a refreshing change from the same old high street shops.

Also, an impressive array of speakers was invited including Daisy Lowe, Sophia Webster and Agent Provocateur’s creative director Sarah Shotton. They spoke about a range of topics, from designing to discussing careers in the fashion industry.

As the only event of its kind, London Fashion Weekend deserves serious recognition for what it does for fashion. It forms a part of the ongoing democratisation of fashion, which has led to online live streaming of catwalk shows and a see-now-buy-now approach. The event is helping to open up a previously exclusive industry and inspire hundreds of fashion enthusiasts.

For more things Palatinate Fashion head to:

Twitter: @PalatinateStyle ??.

Instagram: @Palatinate_fashion?

Wantfeed: @PalatinateStyle ?

Photo credit: Flickr user odibodi