It’s time to get excited for the Zambian Cup

By Mark Foster

zambia1

For a number of years now, Team Durham has proudly supported and held a partnership with the Sport in Action Zambia charity, a project which uses sport as a vehicle for social development.

The project works in schools, delivering PE lessons, community sports programmes and health awareness workshops within areas of extreme poverty, most notably in the capital city, Lusaka.

The initiative uses sport as a focal point for the positive effects physical activity can have on poverty struck communities that suffer from great levels of unemployment, crime and many health risks, such as HIV-AIDS. By encouraging children and young people to take part in sessions, the charity hopes that sport is the ideal tool to promote motivation and self-development and help improve their quality of life.

zambia3Team Durham has been working year on year with the charity, and after the success of last year’s event, the 11th June will host the second ‘Team Durham Zambian Cup’, where a selection of the university’s finest athletes will contest each other in a multi-sports tournament, with the aim of raising a large amount of money for this worthwhile cause that Team Durham holds very closely to heart.

Tickets are £3 and include entry for all six showcase games taking place throughout the day. The bar down at Maiden Castle will be open all day along with stands selling food throughout the day.

zambia2Schedule:

Women’s Lacrosse vs Women’s Hockey at Netball: 10:00-10:45

Men’s Football vs Men’s Rugby at Hockey: 11:00-12:00

Women’s Hockey vs Women’s Netball at Lacrosse: 12:00-13:00

Men’s Hockey vs Men’s Football at Rugby: 13:15-14:15

Women’s Lacrosse vs Women’s Netball at Hockey: 14:30-15:30

Men’s Hockey vs Men’s Rugby at Football: 15:45-16:45

At the helm of the project is third year student Mark Foster, who commented “last year’s event was a great success, which raised around £1000 for the charity, a figure we are certainly aiming to increase this year”.

“The idea of the Team Durham Zambia Cup was to challenge the University’s best elite male and female athletes, putting them out of their comfort zones and see who really is the best ‘all round’ sports team in the university. Being able to stage a competitive sports event whilst raising as much money as possible for a hugely important charity is a unique and incredible opportunity, building on last year’s success and for many years to come”.

Tickets will be available from reps from each of the sports teams over the next weeks. Whether you are associated with one of the competing teams or not, get down to Maiden Castle and support what truly is a worthwhile charity.

Check out the event’s official Facebook page for extra information. 

Photographs: Team Durham, Mark Foster