Gold for Durham at gymnastics championships

gymBy Emily Beech

It is broadly acknowledged that Durham rack up most of their BUCS points in team sports. However, it was the turn of Durham University Gymnastics Club to have their time in the spotlight over the weekend as they took to the floor, bars and rings in their latest BUCS Championships.

Taking place at Rushmoor Gymnastics Academy, competitors from universities across the north of England competed in three different categories: novice, intermediate and elite. Durham’s best results of the day came in the novice and intermediate categories.

The most notable performance of the weekend came from Alice Mathews, who took first place in the uneven bars, intermediate category. Teammate Sarah Mack managed a credible sixth in the same competition. Mathews was also the highest placed Palatinate in the overall rankings, finishing an impressive sixth.

Orry Van-Geel just missed out on a podium finish in the intermediate parallel bars. This was the case for the women’s team overall as they were narrowly beaten to third place by just over one point. This result is made even more impressive considering winners Loughborough, Leeds Metropolitan (second) and Birmingham (fifth) all have gymnasiums on campus making it easier for their athletes to train.

Elsewhere, for the men’s categories, Ben Dabson posted the best individual place at fifth for his routine on the floor, novice category. Dabson finished seventh overall with fellow Palatinate Henry Sawcyzc finishing close behind in eighth.

Many congratulations to all the athletes who took part in the championships over the weekend.

Photograph: Wikipedia