Durham’s top 10 sports graduates

By Tomas Hill Lopez-Menchero, James Martland and Will Jennings

Will Greenwood

Greenwood, a Hatfield alumnus who studied Economics, is certainly one of Durham’s most successful graduates, having been a key player in the squad which won the 2003 Rugby World Cup, scoring a few vital tries. He currently works in punditry and writes for the Daily Telegraph.

Nasser Hussain

Now a presenter and commentator on all things cricket for Sky Sports, Hussain is best known for his spell as captain of the England cricket team between 1999 and 2003. He scored over 5000 test runs and, whilst later captains such as Strauss, Vaughan and Cook have led the team to greater success, Hussain oversaw England’s rise to third in the test rankings and helped set the foundations for these future triumphs.

Phil de Glanville

After completing an Economics degree, de Glanville went on to represent England 38 times in a mixed and international rugby career. Despite being restricted to more of a squad role, de Glanville excelled during the tour of South Africa in 1994 and was appointed captain – albeit for a limited period – in 1996. The centre enjoyed a distinguished domestic career at Bath, playing 189 times.

Holly Colvin

Colvin’s international career begun before she even started life at Durham, with the spinner becoming England’s youngest ever Test cricketer aged 15 in 2005. After enjoying an eight-year career with her country, Colvin retired at 26 to assume the position of Women’s Cricket Senior Officer at the ICC, a role that has seen her apply her more academic skills honed at the University.

Charlie Hodgson

Hodgson stands out as the leading rugby Premiership points scorer of all time. Now retired, Hodgson also holds the record of the most consecutive starts for England, when he played 18 times in a row between 2004 and 2006. Despite living in Jonny Wilkinson’s shadow at times, Hodgson still managed to forge himself a very impressive career for both club and country.

Cordelia Griffith

Still a student at the University, Griffith’s cricketing career remains in its preliminary stages. Nevertheless, the 22-year-old has already enjoyed success in the domestic circuit, representing Surrey Stars during the 2016 Kia Super League and playing alongside England players such as Nat Sciver and Tammy Beaumont.

Jonathan Edwards

It is fitting that Edwards, an Olympic, World, Commonwealth and European champion triple jumper, studied Physics during his time at Van Mildert. Now a mainstay in the BBC’s athletics coverage, he has held the world record since becoming the first man to jump 60 feet in 1995, and is perhaps the University’s most successful sporting alumnus.

Sophie Hosking

After graduating with a degree in Chemistry and Physics, Hosking won gold for Team GB in the 2012 Olympics lightweight double sculls with Kat Copeland. It was the second of six gold medals on Super Saturday.

Andrew Strauss

Now director of England cricket, Strauss was one of England’s most successful captains. He inspired his side to home Ashes glory in 2009 and a first victory on Australian soil since 1986-87 to retain the urn. Strauss led the 4-0 rout against India which meant England claimed top spot in Test Cricket in 2011, and is widely recognised as one of English cricket’s finest ever batsmen.

Will Carling

After graduating with a degree in Psychology, Carling went on to be appointed England’s youngest ever rugby captain, leading his side out in 59 Tests. In a venerable career, Carling’s leadership saw England win Grand Slams in the Five Nations in 1991, 1992 and 1995, a feat that renders the centre one of the greatest captains of the modern epoch.

Photograph: Durham University

Illustration: Faye Chua