Durham finalist selected to join prestigious scholarship

By Emma PinckardAAEAAQAAAAAAAAP4AAAAJDQ5YjljOTg0LTI3ZDYtNGMwNS1iMTVmLTM5OWVmZTVhZjFhZA

A Durham University finalist has been selected to join the inaugural class of one of the most selective scholarship programmes in the world: Schwarzman Scholars.

Tara Subba, an undergraduate studying Politics and Philosophy, has been selected from over 3,000 applicants as one of only 111 Scholars to study in the first class of the fully funded programme.

The programme is designed to provide the select group with the exclusive opportunity to enhance their leadership abilities.

Currently, the rate of acceptance for the Scholarship stands at only 3.7%.

Schwarzman Scholars, the prestigious Master’s degree program at Tsinghua University in Beijing, will focus on preparing future leaders in areas including, but not exclusive to, business, science, technology, and law, with a particular focus on the importance of China’s role in global politics in the 21st century.

The class is made up of students from 32 countries and 75 different universities.

44% of the successful candidates are from the United States, 21% from China, and the remaining 35% is made up by the rest of the world, including the United Kingdom.

“Each Scholar has demonstrated tremendous leadership potential at a young age and differentiated themselves through a myriad of academic and non-academic pursuits,” said the founder of the programme, Stephen A. Schwarzman.

Tara, 20, has been greatly involved with Durham Amnesty International, and has set up the St. Mary’s College Freedom Association.

She has also been involved in the promotion of infrastructural reconstruction and relief efforts in Nepal, which have had significant results for sustainable development and the incorporation of developing nations into the global community.

Tara, who is English-Indonesian-Nepalese, hopes to work with the United Nations or to gain a ministerial position in the Indonesian government.

Schwarzman Scholars Global Director of Admissions, Rob Garris, said:

“These 111 Scholars represent the first members of a constantly expanding network of future global leaders who together will have a tremendous impact on the world.”

Support for the program since April 2015 has come from a prestigious global list of donors, including PepsiCo Foundation, Volkswagen, Johnson & Johnson, Econet Foundation, Lenovo and the Varkey Foundation.

The scholars will live and study together at Schwarzman College, a dedicated state-of-the-art academic and residential building built exclusively for the program.

The programme will start in August 2016.

Photograph: Tara Subba