Durham achieves new levels of success in QS World University Subject Rankings

University has achieved its highest ever number of subjects in the QS World Top 50 University Subject Rankings.

After evaluating 4,438 universities and ranking 1,117 institutions in total, QS determined that had eight subjects in the world Top 50 and three in the Top 10 for 2017.

Theology & Religion at is the standout subject for the University. It has been ranked third in the world after QS included the academic field in its assessments for the first time this year.

Archaeology has risen one place in the global classification system since 2016, to a position of fourth. Meanwhile, Geography has been placed seventh in the world.

Anthropology, English, History, Law and Earth Sciences make up the five other subjects in the world Top 50. A further six subjects areas are ranked in the Top 100.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Stuart Corbridge suggested the of ’s success in the rankings was something the entire University could be proud of: “It is a wonderful achievement to have our highest ever number of subjects in the Top 50 of this respected international ranking.

is one of the world’s great universities and one of the most distinctive. Our new University Strategy includes ambitious proposals to ensure that we build on our strengths, to continue delivering world-class research, education and wider student experience.”

It is an achievement that comes months after was placed 74th in the world by QS for its overall 2016-17 World University Rankings. In a similar gauge of performance, was ranked in the top 100 of The Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2016-17.

In league tables, recently came fourth in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and sixth in the Guardian’s 2017 University League Table.

Photograph: Rose Innes