DUGS Careers Talk

By Sally Benjamin

Durham University Geographical Society welcomed Ian Baggett, CEO of Adderstone Housing Group, on Tuesday 8th November. The talk was incredibly inspirational. It charted how he has gone from a pupil at a local comprehensive school to one of the north-easts most celebrated entrepreneurs and philanthropists. His talk mentioned his dissertation on student housing in Durham and how it helped him to get into the property business.

Ian credited his geographical background as a major cause of his interest in housing for students. His undergraduate dissertation was on ‘studentification’, a concept whereby the students’ inhabit the local area to such a degree it alters the face of the city for the resident population. For the project he mapped the areas of student housing within the city and surrounding villages. An arduous task but one that ensured a truly top dissertation.

A Masters and PhD followed in political geography, also in Durham’s Geography Department. Investment in housing in Bowburn from an early age set him off towards success. One of his favourite projects was the restoration of listed buildings. Many important landmarks in Newcastle have been restored to their former glory by the Adderstone Group.

Ian also plays a big role in philanthropy and charity work especially helping visually-impaired tennis players.
Marketed as a careers talk in the DUGS academic guest speaker calendar, this talk created an opportunity for geography undergraduates to contemplate alternative career paths.

The next talk is on the 22nd November 2016, W007 Geography Department at 6:15pm. Dr Laura Edwards from the University of Manchester will be addressing the society on ‘Glacier change and glacial lake outburst flood risk in the Bolivian Andes’. This is a must for all physical geographers, especially those with an interest in the practical applications of GIS.

Photo Credit: Creative Commons