Crunch time for DUAFC as charity match coincides with must-win encounter

By Nick Friend

After a stuttering start to the new season, this coming Wednesday sees a massive opportunity for Durham to spark new life into attempts to retain the BUCS Premier North title.

Last year saw glorious scenes as the Palatinates held off the much-vaunted Stirling University to claim an historic crown. This year though, things have not begun quite so smoothly. Last-minute goals for Nottingham and, more recently, Northumbria, have seen the reigning champions slip to the foot of the table ahead of a battle with last year’s runners-up.

Stirling, themselves, are in-form – an opening day draw with Birmingham offset with consecutive 1-0 away wins at Nottingham and Loughborough. Durham, who didn’t have a BUCS game this week, took on Hartlepool United U23 instead, drawing 3-3. Needless to say, as competitive action returns, Wednesday is crucial for both sides.

With that in mind, DUAFC are treating the game on 26th October as the club’s charity affair, with all proceeds raised on the day – and in the days leading up to it, going to Sport Action in Zambia.

Kick-off is at 5pm on the Old Crumb down at Maiden Castle, though with plenty of activity scheduled pre-match, people are encouraged to get down to the ground earlier.

With Spotify sponsoring the occasion, there will be music as well as merchandise available for purchase. DU Dance’s competition team will also be in attendance, providing the half-time entertainment, whilst Durham University Football Supporters Society will be running a half-time raffle, as well as offering up a set of free tickets to an upcoming Newcastle home game.

You can be a part of this for just £2 if you purchase your ticket before matchday. Tickets will also be available on the door for £3.

After two early season defeats, it’s a massive game for the club as the Palatinates look to defend their title.

There’s money to be raised and a game to be won.

Photograph: Ollie Beauchamp