CROSS COUNTRY: Price win tops off fine start to season

The field line up at the beginning of the women's race

The field line up at the beginning of the women’s race

By Freya Semken

Last Saturday DUAXC took a strong squad of 24 runners to the Edinburgh Braids Cross Country Race, with fresher Chloe Price claiming victory for the Palatinates.

This favoured, but nonetheless challenging meet, involved a 3-mile race for the women, and a 6-mile race for the men over multi-terrain.

The ladies were first off with all DUAXC athletes positioning themselves well at the front of the pack, awaiting the gun, and the three-miles ahead.

Price had a storming run, finishing in first place with a time of 17.52 and continuing her great race form.

Narrowly behind her was Mariama Dryak in 7th and Alex Slotwinska 17th, both of which were crucial contributions to Durham gaining second place in the ladies team competition.

Not to be outdone, the men took to the six mile course and ran hard to produce more fantastic results for the club.

Cross Country captain Ben Douglas ran strongly finishing in third place in a time of 33.01, which enabled the Durham men to finish in third place in the team competition, aided by a good run from Marius Klein and a top 20 performance from Peter Bray.

With such fantastic results the club looks in a strong position to field some strong teams for the Leeds Relays on 7th December, a marker of a club going from strength to strength this season.

Photograph: DUAXC