Cooking with the stars

By Emma Taylor

Lorraine Pascale

Lorraine Pascale is one of Britain’s most well-known and popular celebrity chefs, with a range of recipe books that bring stylish cuisine to homes across the country. She is also a well-established BBC celebrity television chef – so if you haven’t seen her on the shelves of your local bookstore, you’ll definitely have seen her on your screen!

Born to West Indian parents, Pascale first became a recognisable face when she began modelling. She first entered the foodie world by starting off her culinary career in baking, opening her own cupcake shop in London.

Pascale has spent most of her career teaching the nation to cook. Her books, with titles such as Baking Made Easy, Home Cooking Made Easy and Everyday Easy: 100 Fabulous Recipes for Fuss-Free Home Cooking are all about making incredible food at home, quickly and easily. Perfect for inspiration when you realise mid-term you’ve been living off pesto pasta and toast…

Most of her books have been published alongside a BBC television programme – so if you need a baking programme to supplement your weekly Bake Off fix, this is a way to learn how to cook amazing food in your student kitchen. Minimum time and effort, and maximum deliciousness.

Ainsley Harriott

Ready Steady Cook! We’ve all heard these immortal words by one of Britain’s best-loved chefs, on one of Britain’s best-loved cookery shows (this was before Bake Off hit our television screens).

Harriott has been one of the faces of British celebrity cooking for decades. In addition to presenting Ready Steady Cook (who can forgot those red and green aprons) and Can’t Cook, Won’t Cook, Harriott was a success on the other side of the Atlantic with the American version of Ready Steady Cook – Ready… Set… Cook!

However, just like Lorraine Pascale, Harriott is a great chef to teach you how to become a culinary genius in the kitchen with simple recipes and ingredients. His recipe books are centred around making home cooking fun and easy, with titles like Ainsley Harriott’s Meals in Minutes, Ainsley Harriott’s Gourmet Express and Ainsley Harriott’s Friends and Family Cookbook.

If it’s been a long day at the Bill Bryson, though, Harriott is still your friend in the kitchen with his range of healthy ready meals. This may be more Ready Steady Microwave, but they still taste amazing – and surely that’s the most important thing.

Photograph: Emma Taylor and Mike Scott