Collingwood 1,000 points clear in College Sport table as title deciders loom

By Ollie Godden and James Martland

With the Epiphany term coming to a close and many College Sport leagues reaching exciting and tense climaxes, Ollie Godden and James Martland summarise the state of play ahead of the run-in.

Men’s Badminton

Only three teams can still win the Premiership. Grey A currently lead the division, with only one more game to play, having won seven out of their eight games. However, St Cuthbert’s A sit three points behind with two games in hand. Van Mildert A still have an outside chance if they win their remaining two games and other results go their way. Meanwhile, at the bottom, Josephine Butler A are set for relegation, having lost all of their eight games thus far. Similarly, in Division 1, another team has also lost all of its games. This time, Hatfield B look set for the drop, having lost all seven of their games. At the top, Stephenson A are almost certain to be promoted, finding themselves six points clear. In Division 2, St Cuthbert’s B and St John’s B have both been promoted as they find themselves clear of the chasing pack and cannot be caught.

Women’s Badminton

St Cuthbert’s are continuing their fine form in the women’s league as well. Their A team has won the Premiership, having won all seven of their games. Meanwhile, University A have been relegated but could be joined by either Van Mildert A or Josephine Butler A, depending on how the later fare in their two games in hand. Division 1 has finished with St Johns A and St Aidan’s A both being promoted and Hatfield A and Trevelyan A being relegated. Division 2 has also ended, seeing St Hild & St Bede A complete an unbeaten season. They will be joined by Van Mildert C in Division 1 next year.

Mixed Badminton

In the Premier League, both St Cuthbert’s A and Stephenson A have so far enjoyed unbeaten seasons and are fighting it out among themselves for victory. Indeed, their upcoming game against each other may be the league decider. At the bottom, Grey A have already been relegated but could be joined by any of three teams. They look set to be replaced by both St Cuthbert’s B and St Hild & St. Bede A who both look set to be promoted.

Men’s Basketball

St Mary’s A have won the Premiership, with 4 convincing wins. Things were closer in Division 1 – John Snow A took the title on goal difference, with St Chad’s A coming in second. St Hild & St Bede A romped Division 2, scoring 209 points in the process, while John Snow B topped Division 3, conceding only 47 points across the four games. In the Plate, St Hild & St Bede A and St. Cuthbert’s A will contest the final, while St Mary’s A and Stephenson A will battle it out for the Trophy.

Women’s Basketball

Ustinov A have won the Premiership with 3 wins from 3, upsetting Josephine Butler A. Collingwood A have won Division 1 by the slightest of margins, edging St. Mary’s A out on a points difference of +3 to +1 respectively. St Cuthbert’s A breezed Division 2, with a healthy margin between themselves and second place Trevelyan A. Meanwhile, Stephenson A topped Division 3 on points difference, with Grey finishing second. St Cuthbert’s A and Trevelyan A will contest the Plate final, leaving Ustinov A and Josephine Butler A to play each other for the coveted Trophy.

Men’s Football

There is still much to play for in all six divisions. However, Van Mildert A have comfortably won the Premiership, having, at the time of writing, won all eleven of their games played and scored 14 more goals than any other team. At the foot of the table, any two of four teams could still go down. Collingwood C, Collingwood D, St Mary’s A and St Hild & St Bede A will all feel they need to pick up points in their remaining few games. In Division 1, three teams can still be promoted to the Premiership, with Staff A currently leading the way. At the bottom, Ustinov B currently only have two points, but five games left to rectify this. The Division 2 promotion battle is perhaps less exciting with both Stephenson B and Grey B set to come up, both on 28 points at the time of writing. University C and Stephenson C have both been relegated to Division 3, where both Van Mildert D and St Cuthbert’s D have already sealed promotion. Division 4 is much tighter at the top, with, at the time of writing, five points separating the top eleven teams. Only three teams can still be relegated. Division 5 is fairly tight as well with five points this time splitting the top seven teams. Only a strong upturn in form will allow St Aidan’s E avoid bottom spot. In the cups, the Floodlit Cup final will see Grey A take on the winner of Collingwood A vs St Aidan’s A, which will have been played by the time of publishing. The Football Trophy is currently at the 3rd round stage.

Women’s Football

Trevelyan A currently top the Premiership, having played all seven of their games. Collingwood A, however, could still win the league if they win their two remaining games and gain a positive four goal difference across them. At the bottom, Van Mildert A have lost all of their six games so far and will definitely be relegated. They could be joined by any of three teams. Division 1 has ended with St. John’s A winning the league. Ustinov A will join them in promotion. Van Mildert A will play Collingwood A in the Floodlit Cup final.

Men’s Indoor Cricket

St. Aidan’s A are currently topping Pool A of the Premiership with 5 wins from 5. In pool B, Collingwood A are currently leading the race, scoring 540 runs in the process, but Josephine Butler A remain unbeaten with 2 games in hand over Collingwood. In the Pool A of Division 1, Josephine Butler B are winning the league, while Collingwood B are topping Pool B. The outdoor league gets underway next term.

Mixed Lacrosse

The Premiership sees Collingwood A one win away from victory. However, St John’s A are looking to spoil the party, having already beaten Collingwood A 9-2 this season, and could still win the league if they win their two remaining games and Collingwood A fail to win their final game of the season. At the bottom, any two of four teams will go down, but St Hild & St Bede look most likely to be relegated, currently having collected only three points this season. In Division 2, four teams are in contention for promotion, but Chad’s A have already won the league, so far being unbeaten with one game to go. Once again at the bottom, nothing is decided as yet, but Josephine Butler B look likely to go down due to a worse goal difference than those around them, having conceded 65 goals in seven games. Three of the five teams in Division two could still be promoted.

Netball

University A currently lead the Premiership, but could still be leapfrogged by St Hild & St Bede A who are two points behind with one game left. Hatfield A will definitely be relegated having played all their games and only picked up three points, scoring 78 goals and conceding 242. Collingwood B top Division 1 with one game left, and will be joined in promotion by either Collingwood C or University B. In Division 2, either Van Mildert D or Hatfield C will win the league, but both look set to go. Meanwhile, due to such poor goal difference, Van Mildert C are almost confirmed as relegated to Division 3 where, having scored almost 200 goals, Grey D are set to replace them. They will most likely be joined in promotion by John Snow C. Van Mildert D have already sealed victory in Division 4.

Table Tennis

In the Premiership, Trevelyan A look set for a highly impressive league victory, winning all of their eight games so far, conceding just 6 points. Meanwhile, at the other end of the table, Josephine Butler B have failed to gain a single game, scoring 4 points all season. Grey B will be relegated alongside them. At the top of Division 1, no one’s record is quite as impressive as Trevelyan A’s, but Van Mildert C and St John’s A have both been promoted to the Premiership.

Touch Tennis

We are in the early stages so it is hard to get a picture of what the table will look like come end of the season. However, St Mary’s A have won all of their first three games. Tennis starts next term.

Men’s Hockey

With only a couple of fixtures still to play in the Premiership, St. Cuthbert’s are in pole position to win the league, but Van Mildert A are still in the running. Hatfield A’s disappointing season will see them relegated, replaced by St Hild & St Bede A who are currently winning Division 1, and University A who are close on their tails. Hatfield will contest the final of the Trophy against either Collingwood or St Hild & St Bede A.

Women’s Hockey

Grey A have won the league with games yet to play, with their almost faultless record of 12 wins and 1 draw. St Mary’s A have all but secured Premiership status for next year thanks to their goal difference, to be joined by either St Hild & St Bede A or St John’s A. University A will play Grey A for a place in the Trophy final, while St Cuthbert’s A and Van Mildert A will contest the second semi-final.

Men’s Rugby

In an unprecedented turn of events, both Collingwood A and Collingwood B have gone unbeaten in their league campaigns to win the Premiership and Division 1 respectively. In their eight games, Collingwood A scored 342 points, conceding only 23.. The first Trophy semi-final sees Hatfield A and Van Mildert play each other, while the second semi-final will be between St Aidan’s A and Collingwood A.

Women’s Rugby

Combined Graiden’s have won the Premiership just ahead of Combined Milbut who finished second, with both boasting outstanding scoring records. The Cup is at the semi-final stage, with Collingwood A playing Combined Cuthle, and Combined Graiden’s playing rivals Combined Milbut.

Men’s Squash

Three teams are still in the hunt for the Premiership title, with St Hild & St Bede A level with Grey A on points difference, and Collingwood 3 points behind but with a game in hand. It will all go down to the last game of the season in this league. Division 1 is just as close. Grey B must win their final game to take the title, or they risk John Snow A snatching it. Only Trevelyan A have secured a Trophy quarter-final place, with the bulk of round 2 yet to be played.

Women’s Rugby

Collingwood A have won the league convincingly, finishing 6 points ahead of second place Combined Chad’s-John’s, and only losing 1 out of their 10 matches. The trophy could also be an allCollingwood affair, with Collingwood A set to face St. Cuthbert’s A or combined Chad’s John’s for the chance to play Collingwood B in the final.

Mixed Volleyball

The Pool A Premiership volleyball title will go down to the wire with both Staff A and Grey An unbeaten on 12 points, both without losing a set. Pool B of the Premiership has been won by Van Mildert A, despite the best efforts of second places Collingwood.

Photograph: Team Durham