College Round Up: 4th-10th November

photo6-225x300By Emily Beech

Due to the Football Knockout Cup and other similar competitions there were less league fixtures occurring this week. Below is a quick round up of all the submitted results.

The Men’s Basketball leagues were in action over the weekend seeing the experienced Ustinov A take on the newbies in the Premiership St. Chad’s. Credit to the underdogs, Chad’s managed to take the game into extra time on level terms but narrowly missed out in the dying minutes meaning Ustinov could secure a 46-39 victory.

Over at Stockton, St. Mary’s A put in a strong performance to beat Stephenson A 53-26. In Division One, St. Aidan’s convincingly beat Hatfield 44-16 whilst Josephine Butler lost to St. John’s 31-42. Collingwood B versus John Snow B proved to be an exciting match with the Hill College narrowly securing a 24-20 victory.

As for Men’s hockey all teams were in action over the course of the week. Nothing could break the deadlock between Collingwood A and Hatfield A as the score line ended 0-0. This certainly wasn’t the case for Queen’s A as they defeated a deplete Castle A side 5-3. Van Mildert and St. Mary’s proved to be a close game with Mildert just edging their higher in the league opponents 2-1. Finally, bottom of the league St. Aidan’s suffered a drumming from St. Cuthbert’s, loosing 1-5.

Meanwhile in Division One, St. John’s easily dispatched a Hild Bede side 5-0 whilst Trevelyan managed to put three past Chad’s in their fixture. Finally, the A teams managed to maintain their integrity as Grey A beat Collingwood B 2-0 and Ustinov A defeated Hatfield B 2-1.

The hockey boys were back in action at the weekend. This time Hatfield A were victorious, winning 1-0 over St. Cuthbert’s A. Despite beating St. Mary’s on the Wednesday, Van Mildert suffered a heavy 4-1 defeat to Castle A. St. Mary’s meanwhile got back to winning ways by beating Collingwood A 1-0.

As for mixed lacrosse, the premiership saw John’s B concede a 3-0 walkover to Van Mildert A. Over in Division One, St. Chad’s A lost to Castle B 0-2 whereas Trevelyan A beat Hild Bede A 6-3. In table tennis, St. Mary’s A lost to Josephine Butler A 3-6 whilst St. Aidan’s C suffered a heavy 7-2 loss to Trevelyan A.

There was plenty of Ultimate Frisbee played at the weekend. St. Aidan’s failed to gather a side for both of their games and therefore conceded two 13-0 walkovers. Josephine Butler had mixed fortunes losing to St. John’s A 4-12 but got revenge on St. John’s B by winning 8-1. Hatfield A had a terrific weekend beating Hild Bede A 11-3 and Trevelyan A 11-2. Finally in the last match on the Sunday, Grey A lost out to St. John’s A 6-9.

Over to Women’s sport, in the Hockey Premiership Hatfield A narrowly beat Castle 1-0 whilst Ustinov A just beat St. Cuthbert’s 2-1. Hild Bede however, looked on top form as they deservingly defeated St. Mary’s 3-1. In Division One, Van Mildert managed to hold on to their top spot with a convincing 3-0 win over John Snow A. St. Aidan’s also remain close behind them with a 1-0 victory over Stephenson A. St. Chad’s also put in a good performance to beat Trevelyan 3-0.

In the Netball Premiership there were two crunching defeats for St. Aidan’s A and Trevelyan A. Aidan’s were especially disappointed to lose out to a Hild Bede B side 6-18. However, Trevelyan should show no shame in losing 21-10 to a Van Mildert A side who have been thoroughly consistent in their season thus far.

Division One saw a thrilling 8-7 victory for John Snow C in their college civil war clash against John Snow B. Some definite bragging rights to be claimed there. In Division Two, Josephine Butler B managed to hold off Hild Bede D to secure a 15-12 victory. Less can be said for Grey B who lost 27-14 to Collingwood B. Finally Van Mildert B followed in their A team’s footsteps and reigned supreme over St. Mary’s B: 19-9 being the final score.

Finally in women’s squash St. Aidan’s A overcame their opponents Grey A with a 4-1 win.

Congratulations to all those who won their fixtures this week. If you can’t find your result, be sure to submit your result to the Team Durham office or website in plenty of time.

Photograph: Tom Newman