A Literary Halloween: What to Wear

ZombieBooksmainBy Hannah Griffiths

Halloween is nearly upon us, and there’s no better way to celebrate than to don your best fancy dress costume and head out into Dur­ham. For the bookish among you, we’ve come up with some of our favourite literary Halloween costume ideas.

Harry Potter

No term at Durham would be complete without a bit of Harry Pot­ter fancy dress! Gowns make perfect substitutes for Hogwarts robes – all you need is an old school tie and a makeshift eyeliner lightning bolt scar. Alternatively, if you’re looking for a more obscure Harry Pot­ter fancy dress costume, why not try ripping up an old pillowcase and go as Dobby, or draw a Dark Mark on your arm and go as a Death Eater.

Witches

If you’re looking for a magical costume, but Harry Potter isn’t your thing, why not look for inspiration elsewhere? The witches in Shakespeare’s Macbeth could help you to put together a more traditional Halloween costume. Think cauldrons, broomsticks and maybe an eye of newt or toe of frog.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Maybe you’re a Jane Austen fan, but you can’t think of a suit­ably scary costume? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is an adap­tation of Jane Austen’s famous novel, Pride and Prejudice, and is soon to be released in cinemas. Try wearing a long dress or a suit with zombie make-up to recreate the period zombie look.

HPBooks

Classical Literature

Greek and Roman mythology can be a great source of inspi­ration for fancy dress, though this is only for the ambitious! Medusa or Cyclops costumes would certainly be terrifying cos­tumes for Halloween, so if you’re keen to try papier mâché or give some painting a go, this is the literary costume for you.

Vampires

This may be quite a common Halloween costume, but why not give it your own literary touch by going as Dracula? Al­ternatively, you could look at more modern vampire nov­els for inspiration and go as a vegetarian vampire à la Twilight.

Photographs: Hannah Griffiths and Bruno Martin